Buying used camera stuff

Hey guys.

I'd like to know, if anyone of you have experience with buying used camera gear such as lenses and bodies?
I'm a 20 year old living by myself, so money is kind of rough. I'd love to ugrade from t2i to canon 5D mark II (I personally think mark III is unrealistic right now, and as far as I can understand the difference between mark II and III isn't worth the price unless you really have the money).

But I can't afford a completely new camera, which is why I'm considering buying a used one. I'd dlike to know whether anyone of you have experience with buying used film equipment on sites such as eBay or national sites alike (I'm from Denmark where we have a danish site like eBay). Is there anything to be very much aware for? Or is it generally speaking a no-go?

Thanks in advance! Anything related to this topic is much welcome!

Don't make that switch... its not very much of an upgrade (out of date, flawed video - literally the first dslr to have usable video in '08) And you'll have to invest in more expensive full frame glass only.

Now - if your focus is making a massive step forward in video (not photo), look at a Black Magic Pocket. That you could easily use for indie feature films & would easily pass for the best movie cameras

Ebay has been a very trustworthy spot for me

Now - if your focus is making a massive step forward in video (not photo), look at a Black Magic Pocket. That you could easily use for indie feature films & would easily pass for the best movie cameras
The BMPC is a great camera but only go that route if you are keen to do a lot of post production work - particularly color grading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAgPaiLgeE4

If finances are tight, stick to what you have and simply make more shorts, get more experience.

So you're telling me it's better to buy glass etc. rather than a new camera? The people that I know that are into film have suggested me to get a fullframe camera (instead of t2i), which is why I want to get 5D Mark II.

Also - besides this fact, none of you answered to the question about buying used stuff on eBay etc, whether or not it is trustworthy, and how you experiences are with this. :)

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware

Buying over the 'net is a decision you have to make on your own. I very, very rarely buy used items over the 'net, and only after doing A LOT of research about the vendor.

The people that I know that are into film have suggested me to get a fullframe camera

Always remember: Opinions are like a$$holes; everybody has one, and they all stink.

BTW, as far as
none of you answered to the question about buying used stuff on eBay etc
is concerned, you also stated in your first post
Anything related to this topic is much welcome!
complete with exclamation point. I think that advice about not upgrading the camera but investing in lenses and other items qualifies as "Anything related."

So you're telling me it's better to buy glass etc. rather than a new camera? The people that I know that are into film have suggested me to get a fullframe camera (instead of t2i), which is why I want to get 5D Mark II.

Also - besides this fact, none of you answered to the question about buying used stuff on eBay etc, whether or not it is trustworthy, and how you experiences are with this. :)

3 reasons why you should stick with your camera and buy better lenses:

1. You already have a good camera
2. Lenses and lights will make a bigger difference than a used MkII
3. Fullframe means your cinema lenses (if you choose to buy them) will not work as well.

The fact you are asking this question on this forum means you probably aren't yet at a level to make the most of your camera. In your place, I would suggest shooting some more stuff to understand why you need to buy this gear.

As to buying filming stuff on ebay, I am generally positive having bought a few sound and visual bits and pieces on there. I bought a 35mm cinema lens on ebay and it is perfect. Ditto a few Manfrotto bits and pieces (tripod, fluid head, monopod etc...). My sound equipment also comes from ebay (Fostex FR2-le, ECM 674, Promix 3) with mixed results.

The Fostex came from a pro foley artist and once I'd wiped the bits of meat, vegetables and dirt out of all the nooks and crannies (a hazard of buying from foley artists), it has behaved impeccably and ditto the ECM 674. The Promix 3 is not great but as it was less than $50 USD, it worked well while it was there. The DR100 I bought had a few kinks in it but it's OK as a backup tool in case there are issues with the Fostex.

Buying used is usually fine, but do be careful.

And if I were you, i'd go with the Black Magic camera instead of the Mark III. Better camera, cheaper price, in my opinion. 5Ds are just more expensive, because they are the golden child for photographers. But as a cinema camera, the Black Magic is beautiful.

Keep your current camera, buy more (and/or better) glass, and lights. Much better investment.

Yes, buying on ebay is fine, I've acquired lots of lenses and other gear via ebay over the years, no significant issues to speak of.

suggested me to get a fullframe camera

Sensor size will not improve image quality alone. In this particular case, the Canon dslr line is inherently crippled in video. Some of the best films have been shot on S16 - which, in my opinion, is the ultimate indie filmmaker's format. It gives you the right dof spectrum for the job - shallow close ups wide open, sufficient dof to keep action in focus stopped a bit down. And the grit is a fav. In the case of very affordable cameras, the best, most filmic option happens to be in that S16 ballpark (Black Magic). I did respond to the Ebay inquiry btw. Ironically, today it was announced that they were hacked :rolleyes:

Back