buying KRASNOGORSK K-3 stupid questions.

Okay i'm buying a KRASNOGORSK K-3 to shoot a cheap movie, here are my stupid questions. it holds a one hundred feet "daylight load" that means on spools correct? My question is does that mean i can only shoot reversal film? It has been about five years since i've shot any film I've been trying to find out if i can find black and white negative film in one hundred feet spools and if so where? and does that mean i can load them with out having to use a dark room bag... am i making sense? Also the K-3 is a winding camera i belive i read somewhere that after fully winding it runs for about 26 seconds worth of 24 fps, now is there a way i can keep the camera rolling for longer then that at 24fps or is that my limit? i can work with that but would rather be able to do longer shots. This is all rather basic but i do appreciate any help i can get.

Thank you . Gerard

does that mean i can only shoot reversal film?

No, you can shoot any filmstock that is on a 100' daylight spool.

trying to find out if i can find black and white negative film in one hundred feet spools and if so where?

Direct from Kodak. Here's the Kodak Catalogue.

does that mean i can load them with out having to use a dark room bag

All the b/w reversal I've used has "Load in subdued light" on it, so no bag was needed. Someone here on the boards recently bought 100' loads of K-40, which apparently had "load in total darkness" on the canister. Might need a bag for that. Not sure.

is there a way i can keep the camera rolling for longer then that at 24fps

Have the camera sync'd with a motor? Not really a cheap thing to do, but there's also the benefit of being able to easily match sound. You can only wind a spring so tight.

:)

GerPala said:
"daylight load" that means on spools correct?

Yes.

My question is does that mean i can only shoot reversal film?

No, they make daylight spools for every type of film Kodak makes (I think). At least all of the reversal and Negative film I think is available in daylight spools. I personally have shot Plus-X (B&W Reversal), 50D, 100T, 200T, 250D, and 500T.

It has been about five years since i've shot any film I've been trying to find out if i can find black and white negative film in one hundred feet spools and if so where?

Kodak. Call them direct, you know its fresh (it arrives still cold from being chilled ;) ), and its just about the best price you can find without going to short ends. Plus its quick shipping. I dunno the film # but just ask the sales rep.

and does that mean i can load them with out having to use a dark room bag... am i making sense?

No you must either load it in VERY subdued light or use a changing bag. At least, I would recommend never taking a chance in loading unexposed neg in anything but next to no light or no light, just to be safe.

Also the K-3 is a winding camera i belive i read somewhere that after fully winding it runs for about 26 seconds worth of 24 fps, now is there a way i can keep the camera rolling for longer then that at 24fps or is that my limit?

No, thats it. Unless you want to pay $500 for a TCS cyrstal sync motor and then pay to get it installed.

i can work with that but would rather be able to do longer shots. This is all rather basic but i do appreciate any help i can get.

Thank you . Gerard

No problem, hope this helps.

another question can a lab transfer b&W reversal unto mini DV?
I don't think i'll be getting the motor there is quite a difference in cost, so I guess I have to make the best out of twenty odd seconds.
has any one worked with a K-3 before? what was it like? I have photographic experience so i know some tricks, will i be able to utilize those and make something look dissent on this camera? any weird things, heavy draw backs, annoyances, i should know about? is it a fun camera?

I know that spike lee shot some stuff for get on the bus on one of these, or at least that's what the e-bay people say. they also talk about various music videos and that usc uses it for its film program.

Reg said:
I am looking into buying a camera like this too, anyone know any shorts i can look at filmed with this camera?

I have not had time to review these but:

http://www.oase.udk-berlin.de/~soenke/uwcn/gwernwyddog.mpg

http://www.insomniacreations.com/bartolozzi/framefilthqb.html
(actually I did see this one.. not too shabby for the guys first short, B&W neg too)

http://www.intervalometers.com/timelapse/index.stm
Scroll down and you can see some footage shot with an intervalometer

There is more out there... but in short I would say it takes as good of picture as any other cam out there. The Zenit lens is very good and sharp, the image is steady when you load the film correctly... no question about how good it looks.

GerPala said:
another question can a lab transfer b&W reversal unto mini DV?
I don't think i'll be getting the motor there is quite a difference in cost, so I guess I have to make the best out of twenty odd seconds.
has any one worked with a K-3 before? what was it like? I have photographic experience so i know some tricks, will i be able to utilize those and make something look dissent on this camera? any weird things, heavy draw backs, annoyances, i should know about? is it a fun camera?

Yes almost any lab can telecine reversal but not everyone processes it. I'll have to dig out my receipt of who processed mine. You might want to search for K-3 here at IT, in one thread, I think the one started by ceej, I gave as many of tips on shooting with the K-3 as I could. Also, don't forget to zoom in to set your focus!

If I could add in a question(not meaning to hijack your thread)

-What is a good price to pay for one?

A good price would be $99 + shipping if its outside the US. Inside, and it will be more because they already absorbed the shipping cost.

I know that spike lee shot some stuff for get on the bus on one of these, or at least that's what the e-bay people say. they also talk about various music videos and that usc uses it for its film program.

Spike Lee shot a lot of Get on the Bus with his arsenal of like 20 K-3's. I'm sure K-3's have been used for MOS B-roll for years and we would never know it. Many say the footage is as good as any they've ever seen, so it will blend fine with other footage.

Always be sure it is one with the M42 mount and not the Bayonet.

Last edited:
While i have the ears of wise men i might as well continue with my stupid questions, Processing the B&W film. How much would i safe by shooting reversal rather then negative? on negative they must strike a new positive print before it gets dropped unto dv, am i correct? and that adds to the cost, right?
So what are the advantages and disadvantages of both. Also i will be shooting in Mexico, can i have travel advise, packaging, permits etc... I am a mexican citizen if that changes anything. i will be flying to Oaxaca. does any one out there want to make a movie in Oaxaca from november 23 to december 03. think of it as an adventures vacation.
well thank you gentlemen and women.

gerard

on negative they must strike a new positive print before it gets dropped unto dv, am i correct?

Not quite. :)

They run the developed negative through the 'cine, while reversing the colour output straight to tape.

Yale Film & Video charge a flat $10 for flipping the switch for the duration of the 'cine session. (I don't know if that is common with other places.)

Processing the B&W film. How much would i safe by shooting reversal rather then negative?

Here's the pricing for 16mm processing/'cining at the place I go to. There are many cheaper places, but it should give you an idea of the differences.

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/16mm_and_35mm.htm#16MM

(You don't want to buy filmstock from there, btw... much cheaper from Kodak direct)

I'm really a fan of 16mm. I know everyone's going HD and digital now but I'm a fan of the classics, and have been hooked on the "look and feel" of film since I was a wee potato.

I found all this info here, the links etc, very useful. Thanks.

S

Back