Business BreakThrough Questions

Hello all,
I'd like to know from everyone about how long did it take to finally get your business going and making profits? I'm at a year now and just now starting to see the fruits of my labor. Just curious to hear other people's plans and breakthrough timelines.

Last edited:
Clarification?

Do you mean feature films? Or do you mean other business ventures?

Assuming you mean feature films, it's difficult to provide a time line, because it's different for everyone. One of our movies is winning awards but is not yet in a position to become an asset. The previous movie has grown into a cult following, so it's doing much better.

So the timeline, for me, is ongoing. Hahaha!

Some people play the festivals for months and months and then make a deal. Some people make a deal right away. And other people self distribute; a strategy that may have the highest margins but slowest return. In this scenario, focusing on positive cashflow (that is, money over expenses) would be a first benchmark.

Guess it was a vague question, I just meant I'm interested in hearing how long it took for you to consider yourself successful and noticed enough for people to come to you for steady work. I'm not being specific because I know there are all types of businesses on this forum, film makers, post produciton, writers, etc. so, I'm asking in general regardless of business. As for me, I'm a Post Production guy, and although the profits are not as much as I'd like, I am finally getting word of mouth advertisement and jobs, which to me word of mouth adver is one of my milestones. A year of free work is finally panning out, little by little. I like hearing about the little guy becoming successful in their particular niche and how they did it, like Robert Rodriguez.

Ok just visited your website, very nice site. Good info I can use. I'm not ready for a feature yet, I think I'm heading towards the music video industry. I'm shooting my first music video next weekend, that'll sort of be a litmus test to see if I'm worthy enough to be a film maker or stick to the computers in Post as I do now. :)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback on the site.

In terms of your business strategy, it sounds like you're doing well. When I used to do freelance work, I had to really sell myself and then do a good job. Once on the job, I made it a point to become friends with everyone. Those contacts led to future contacts, which led to future contacts. Contacts = Jobs. Like you, it took a little over a year to get things moving.

I always wanted to produce feature films. So while my first work revolved around corporate stuff and PA gigs, I met enough people in the process with similar goals. For any go-getter, I think there is always a point when you feel ready to take the next step. For myself and the people I worked with, we all sort of just knew. And from that point forward, I can say it's been a learning curve.

If you know your goals and carry yourself with passion and enthusiasm, then you're in good shape.

Ok fair enough, thanks for the input. It's funny that you say t make friends with everyone. The kid I am working with is actually a guy in my organization and we've become friends working on his projects. According to him there are several other artists in Atlanta that he knows that is interested in using my services, but they want to until they see the my my work on this next project, understandably so. I think I have reached that point to take the next step that you refer to because I've decided that this guy I'm working with will be my last freebie. I'm kinda counting on getting more leads with this him than taking money from him anyway, like you said, contacts = jobs= money. And i've invested over 15K into equipment and software so I'm ready to justfiy my expenses!

Back