• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Building On The Stunt Dummy With Layers

In order to create the feel that the silver demon hunters are non-human, I want them to look different if they get pummeled to death. In this case, we have one beaten to death by a cyborg with sledgehammer fists that pound faster and harder than a jackhammer. Yes, if we had the budget the tree behind him would break too from this beating. But, I'm doing what we can with our budget.

http://vimeo.com/35062432

PW is mdmpllc

This version has a new layer of transparent water to simulate the silver breaking up from the silver demon hunter like silver tassel breaking apart after getting thrown around. I used to work in a retail store for a couple of years. I remember the holiday decorations and how some of them looked if they got busted apart. I think this is in the right direction.

Frame by frame, I blurred the stunt dummy in the shots where it replaced the actor while keeping the actress playing the cyborg in focus. By ramping up the frame rate, it adds to the illusion of high velocity. Usually, stunt dummies are shot from a distance rather than close up. That makes the velocity effects less noticeable. I did what I could with what I have to work with.

I used motion effects transitions from New Blue for the cyborg appearing out of a motion blur into frame.

I was thinking it would have been better if the actor was laying on the ground instead of the dummy at the end. You don't really notice the dummy when she throws him since it is so brief but it is surprising she can lift him to the audience. I am not sure about that particle effect you got going on. To me it does not really look that good. It is up to you what you like though.

Last edited:
Back