Budget ND fader filters

Hello!

I'm looking at some ND variable filters. I would like to know if there any good budget options out there.

I know about these best brands, like Singh-Ray, Hoya, Genus, Tiffen (pretty expensive including shipping to Europe) but there must be some good (not perfect) solutions for less money. I found Bower ND's (known brand), didn't find anything about them. Also Polaroid (found that they're crap), Fotga (I got one, not so happy about it).

So what are your thoughts?

I tried budget filters - found them all to be rubbish. You might as well have put a pint glass in front of the lens. So I gave myself a good slap (because this is a lesson I learned years ago but had temporarily forgotten - that putting a £50 filter on the front of a £1,000 lens doesn't make any sense) and coughed up for a Tiffen. Am now happy and enough time has passed to forget the pain of the expense.

@rabbit
I have two "Fader ND Mark II"s. Love 'em, can't imagine not having them, now. They do not vignette until the most extreme setting (darkening). They stay put on their setting. I see no color shift.

Be wary of cheapies. If they screw up your footage or make it really difficult to fix in post... the more expensive NDs will seem worth it. Read the recent reviews on Amazon and B&H.

kj

Back