• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Boxes (2012) Teaser

Cut together the first few minutes of the film for funding purposes - details and teaser at www.koancinematics.com under "News and Releases" heading - feedback much appreciated!

75787_119437381451774_100001565394386_140773_5752759_n.jpg

EP John Elash
DP Larry McKee
Actors Graham Bannantine, Steve Uzzell
Editor Aaron Livingston
Writer/Director Matt Ward

Shot on Red One in Santa Fe, TX

Last edited:
a lot people will tell the pros...lemme say the cons

* too slow
* less camera movement
* no expression on actor's face at all..

* too slow
* less camera movement
* no expression on actor's face at all..

1. Maybe "teaser" is a misnomer. This is just a chunk of the film.
2. ? - Too static, too many cuts, not enough...
3. Great. He captured the character well then.

I really like the newscaster in the beginning, he sounds exactly how I imagine Glenn Beck would sound in that situation, somewhat bombastic. The color bars at :55 could be a little quieter, almost blew my speakers. Damn that room looks bare. Is it just like that to be a symbol for desolation? He's obviously been there a while according to the hatch marks on the walls. Is he living in a shipping crate? This teaser makes the movie look really uneventful, even boring, which I doubt is representative of the whole movie. Your movie poster looks cool though, it ties in really well with the teaser. Good job, the quality of the filming is really great, as well as the lighting.

In response to both, more or less:

The cinematography throughout the film is a dichotomy that reflects and enhances the mood depending on the location; inside is dull and dark (with mechanical camerawork), outside, though it hasn't been shot yet, is going to be over-bright, colorful - maybe something akin to The Fall, and lots of hand-held.

A synopsis is available at www.koancinematics.com - it explains the whole boxes concept.

I figured so. That would make sense.

I'd just be very careful with pacing. Having just done something along a similar line I can tell you that while establishing the boredom, or despair inside may require some pretty slow pacing, you will have to carefully time when and how you break that up with scenes where more is happening both visually as well as as dialogue/sound lest you lose the audience.

From the little bit I read, seems it would probably be pretty inexpensive to shoot. Especially if you guys own most of the gear.

Yes, everything "indoors" can be shot in a single location - we've devised an apparatus that allows us to interchange the walls of each box (there are ten "box" sets) in a few seconds, necessary when you only have a month to shoot.

I appreciate the tip on pacing, though you should know this film isn't intended for the Michael Bay crowd. It's sort of The Man From Earth meets The Seventh Seal. Snack on that for lunch.

If you feel like reading some more, send me an e-mail.

Investors and your target audience are generally two separate entities. That would make this "for funding teaser" your prospectus and should then have the necessary wow, pizzaz and moxie to convert views into investments in the final project. I don't mind well done slowly paced films... (this was actually really good pacing for the most part) I loved 2001 and the original Russian Solaris, but I didn't have to invest in them -- the investors expectation being a Return on Investment, which means being presented a product that will entice consumers to spend money on it.

Film is a high-risk investment, to woo an investor, you have to show that your product will be lower risk than the million other indie films out there. While this may give the overall feel of the beginning of the film, it doesn't open my pocketbook.

feedback much appreciated

don't make excuses, you don't have to heed the feedback being given, but when we're asked here, we'll give gut reactions -- and generally if you've given your presentation and you're asked to explain, you need to work on the presentation. Perhaps including a logline or paragraph synopsis of the main thrust would contextualize the clip enough to convey the reasons for the pace and mood without turning off potential investors.

I'd love to see you get this fully funded!

So here's my US$.02 with the purpose of turning this trailer into investment dollars.
Pros:
1) it makes me want to see more
2) it's beautifully lit
3) it conveys the main character's dilemma well
Cons:
1) There are points I'd at which I felt the pacing was slow
- a) 2:10, 2 shots, then :30, 6 shots, then back to a single long shot. The first push was good, but could have cut right as the (yes, too loud) bars hit the screen (for the purposes of this trailer - a feature length would afford the luxury of riding the shot out, but the information has been conveyed, it's time to cut)
- b) I would almost play this in reverse to build the curiosity immediately: first the suicide attempt on the bed pulling back to the walls with the marks, sound of TV over the cut to the push into the tv, bars, cut to end of pull out on bed title shot... cut out all the cuts as he's waking up, none of it is relevant to this short piece as an enticement to buy... That way, you've got interest and a question immediately, then an explanation of sorts that creates more questions which need answering. You've cut out about a minute of the trailer making it easier for investors to agree to sit through.
3) I don't care about the character yet, so his dilemma is mostly irrelevant to me as an audience. As the audience for this piece are investors, it's important for me to care what happens to him. Seeing the intro as it is, I was just upset for him that
the gun didn't go off.
.. nothing more.

I hope I've introduced not only the pros and cons, but possible avenues for you to consider as alternatives here. again, take them or leave them, part of the process of test screenings -- which we're more than happy to do for you.

Good luck with your fund raising.

Back