• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Boom mic tests

Just got back from some practice boom sounds.

1st test was with the mic on one of the subjects. I had her read her lines while the other person read hers next to her for a short dialogue scene. then vise versa. The results were decent I was able to pick up the other person who the mic was not on pretty good while still getting some sound from the main subject. I wouldn't want to use the audio from the person who the mic isn't on. But i wasn't too disipointed.

My next test was keeping the mic in between them while they both spoke out the scene. Again i wasn't was disipointed but was getting a little bit more noise then usual. Still I wasn't to un impressed.

My 3rd test was moving the mic Back and fourth while the actors spoke out the lines. I got to say. wow. this was some what of a challenge. I don't know who said in my last post that this technique is like a dance but they were %100 right. Even though I wrote the scene and knew it all I was still goofing. This technique not only takes experience but plenty of rehearsal time.

Conclusion:
I will use the one person method for a moment to get my feet wet then try to move the boom as time goes one. Walk before you run right?

One thing that was bugging me was the fact that I did not have my wires strapped down and could hear the taping sound of the wires. super annoying,

My gain was on about 4ish and was getting some noise but I'm sure that can be fixed some what in post right?

also i have been keeping my shot gun mic inside my blimp to save time for set up. This may sound like a dumb question but can anything be ruined by doing this? This type of equipment is new to me and I really don't want to mess it up.

Did you use a hyper? I've noticed with the hyper it's not too disappointing but at the same time, don't want to risk using it. With a shotgun mic, it's hugely noticeable if the mic is not on someone, compared to the person that it is on of course. Don't put the mic in between, you just won't get as good of sound, compared to aiming it at the actors accurately, this goes for any type of mic you would boom with.

I operated a boom for a guy who was directing his movie, and his idea was to stick a shotgun mic in between four people, hoping to get them all good. Good thing I talked him out of it, or it would probably have been unusable, since he was aiming to make a distribute-able movie.

I am assuming you have an important shoot date coming up and their is not much time to practice. What do you mean the gain was on '4' exactly? How high does it go?

Last edited:
My 3rd test was moving the mic Back and fourth while the actors spoke out the lines. I got to say. wow. this was some what of a challenge. I don't know who said in my last post that this technique is like a dance but they were %100 right. Even though I wrote the scene and knew it all I was still goofing. This technique not only takes experience but plenty of rehearsal time.

Makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Conclusion: I will use the one person method for a moment to get my feet wet then try to move the boom as time goes one. Walk before you run right?

Just go for it and swing the boom all the time. It's amazing how quick you pick it up. Practice during blocking and rehearsals (all the good boom-ops do). There's not millions of dollars hanging on your work - you're in it for the experience, just like everyone else on the set. Just remember that you have to be as prepared as the actors when it comes to the script; more so, in fact, as you have to know EVERYONES lines.

One thing that was bugging me was the fact that I did not have my wires strapped down and could hear the taping sound of the wires. super annoying.....

So use gaffers tape, or Velcro, or even hair ties.

My gain was on about 4ish and was getting some noise but I'm sure that can be fixed some what in post right?

It's three times as hard when you're the Production Sound Mixer. As you gain experience you'll get better with the gain-staging.

i have been keeping my shot gun mic inside my blimp to save time for set up. This may sound like a dumb question but can anything be ruined by doing this? This type of equipment is new to me and I really don't want to mess it up.

Not really; there is a very slight attenuation of high and upper mid-range frequencies, but 98.7% will never notice. That's why professional blimps and dead cats are so expensive; they keep out the wind but only minimally affect the sound. Many boom-ops use a blimp all the time, as you can create your own "wind" if you have to rapidly change from actor to actor.

A couple of tips....

Do a good workout several times a week, holding a boom over your head all day is tiring. I have a 15' steel pole (weighs about 40 lbs. or so) I used to hold over my head and walk around my back yard for 30 minutes a day to get in shape. A real boom pole is a feather after that!

Your arms should be in an "H" - elbows bent. Some hold the boom between their fingers, others let it rest on their palms and use their fingers to "twist" the pole.

Get some really good headphones if you don't already have them - Sony MDR-7506 or Sennheiser HD-25 or HD-280.

Thanks a lot guys. Yes I do have a shoot coming up. tomrrow actually we start filming. I would really like to move the boom between actors as they speak but the problem is rehearsal time is over and at this moment If I were to be messing up I would be wasting peoples time. half are my friends other half is from craigs list. for right now I know my place with the boom and stay in the comfort zone.

What is a hyper and hermonica, how were u able to do that shot with four people?

Alvcove:
when you say it' hard to do would a super noob like me be able to do it in adobe. Main thing in this project is the sound. I know I wont get hollywood sound but I at least want sound that makes the movie bear able to watch

Thanks a lot guys. Yes I do have a shoot coming up. tomrrow actually we start filming. I would really like to move the boom between actors as they speak but the problem is rehearsal time is over and at this moment If I were to be messing up I would be wasting peoples time.

You still get blocking for your own practice, but your call. No boom-op gets rehearsal before the shoot; that's part of the job. Just do the best that you can, but you are going to have to swing the boom eventually; you may as well start right away.

What is a hyper

A hypercardioid mic is used indoors as it is more forgiving when it comes to mitigating the ambient reflections. It also has a much wider pick-up pattern, so picks up off axis sounds (sounds not directly in front to the mic) a bit better. It's not recommended for outdoors, as it picks up a lot more ambient sound than a shotgun. That's why a shotgun mic is used outdoors, it is much more directional

Alcove:
when you say it' hard to do would a super noob like me be able to do it in adobe. Main thing in this project is the sound. I know I wont get hollywood sound but I at least want sound that makes the movie bear able to watch

Doing the mixing and booming at the same time is hard even for professionals; you need to concentrate on two difficult jobs at the same time. You have no choice but to learn how, like many low/no/mini/micro budget production sound folks. If your recorder can do dual mono mode use it, it can save you when loud transients occur.

You should get Ric Viers "Location Sound Bible". You should also subscribe to Jeff Wexlers site for production sound professionals (http://jwsoundgroup.net/); they are better equipped - both literally and figuratively - to answer your production sound questions.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. Yes I do have a shoot coming up. tomrrow actually we start filming. I would really like to move the boom between actors as they speak but the problem is rehearsal time is over and at this moment If I were to be messing up I would be wasting peoples time. half are my friends other half is from craigs list. for right now I know my place with the boom and stay in the comfort zone.

What is a hyper and hermonica, how were u able to do that shot with four people?

Hey how did your shoot go? A hyper (by that I mean hypercardioid), is a mic that has a wider pick up pattern than the shotgun mic. They say it's better for indoors, but I think in my opinion, it's only better in some indoors and for some sounds. But it depends on the quality of the mic as well probably, and the quality of the other mics you have for choices to use.

Yes I was able do the four people scene. Their was no script and it was all a documentary interview, so I had to do keep guessing when the next person was going to speak, and quickly shift from one to the next constantly.

I actually think it's somewhat easier that way, cause holding the mic over one person only and keeping still is more tiring for me. One guy talked for over 10 minutes straight and that was nerve wracking.

I haven't seen or heard the footage yet, but was told I did a good job.

Last edited:
Back