Big Problems With Lense

Hey guys, I recently recorded footage for the only the third time on my camera.
My friends noticed white spots all around the picture when we were watching it on the t.v.

How would I go about to clean this lense? It has about 3 little smudges on it.... I tried slowly using a microfiber cloth on it, but it wouldn't get them out....

Should I take it to the camera store?
I'm freaking worried since I paid $1550 for the used camera....

thanks

- d

If it's white specks it's probably not a dirty lens. Dirty lenses have big out of focus areas and big circles if you see it at all, can you upload a picture? Don't want to worry you, but little white spots sound like dead pixels.

I wish I could find a decent camera place around cleveland ohio

Did you try the actual yellow pages? A surprising amount of great small to medium sized companies/stores that have been around a long time and know their stuff have not made it into the internet age, but more often than not have an ad in the yellow pages.

And I don't mean going to the yellow pages website. For some reason they seem to be missing a lot of listings...

Googling "clevland camera" brings up several camera ships in the area.

Here's an example of a big dead pixel:
DeadPixel.JPG

And these are dirty lenses:
116947922TllkVm_fs.jpg

PA200422.JPG

Does it look like any of these?

dvxuser.com said:
Place the body cap on the camera. Go to M picture mode. Go to menu and look for sensor cleaning. Choose clean manually. Hit ok and wait 30 seconds. Then resume regular use. It will get rid of the dead pixel.
The dust removal is done via the new sensor cleaning option that takes place when you shut down the camera. In older cameras you just use a dust blower to get the dust out. You can also do this for newer cameras if the dust is a lot. The dead pixel remapping is something I learned once the T1i came out last year as I had 4 dead pixels and didn't want to go through the headache of shipping and dealing with Canon for a $800 camera. It's nice to know about this technique especially as pixels can run hot as a result of shooting at High ISO speeds for a long period of time.

Maybe?

Thanks Bird, did not know that could be done.

Truestar, if none of the above helps, can you post a sample image of the problem. Also, does it happen on both stills and video, or only one or the other?

Full Disclosure: I wouldn't know what to do with that information, but it would narrow down possibilities I guess.

hey guys. it seems that it only appeared for a short period. large white spots all over what I shot....
shortly after when we shot at a different location later in the day with less sun, there was not any white spots. I also shot inside a couple of days later and the picture came out fine. I'll take a couple of pictures of what it looks like on the T.V. and i'll post it up.

And thanks a ton bird, i'll try that.

- d

hey guys. it seems that it only appeared for a short period. large white spots all over what I shot....
shortly after when we shot at a different location later in the day with less sun, there was not any white spots. I also shot inside a couple of days later and the picture came out fine. I'll take a couple of pictures of what it looks like on the T.V. and i'll post it up.

And thanks a ton bird, i'll try that.

- d

Hmm.

Steve might be onto something. Did the white "spots" correspond to the brighter areas of the scene you were photographing? Alternatively, crazy lens flare?

Back