Best Wide Angle Lens for under 900$

Hi guys

I've been trying to do some research on this, but I can't really seem to get a good answer. I'd like to hear your opinion on which wide angle lenses you could recommend. I have Canon 550D and no wide angle lens whatsoever. Bear in mind that the price is a factor too, and if there is a cheap yet very effective one available, then it's all good, because the money left will be spent on other camera accessories.

If I haven't provided enough infomation please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

How wide are you looking for? The new Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is getting great reviews with sharpness comparable to primes in the same focal range and a fast constant aperture - runs about $800. It's not super wide, something like the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 would be wider (~$550), or you can get something like a the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for a couple hundred less (~$350).

Sigma 18-35 1.8 is probably the best APSC WA in the world right now (around £600).

If you want an UWA, then the only constant, fast aperture lens is the Tokina 11-16 2.8 (around £400).

We don't know what lenses you already have, but if you're ever looking for a wide-normal zoom, then the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VR is by far the best value APSC lens on the market at less than £300. Engage your Canon's 3x crop mode and this will do lovely med-long shots too.

i got the samyang 14mm, its my favourite lens on the canon 600d.

however the sigma is by far your best choice iv seen footage on it and it beats L lenses (not all)

the tokina is ok but overpriced in my opinion better off going with sigma or a low priced lens like the samyang, but if your a fan of filters etc then the samyang is not your best choice.

it has a horrible hood and the lens is bulbous at the end so theres no way to put a filter on it.

I would say def get the sigma. at 1.8 your holding a beast in your hands

I would say def get the sigma. at 1.8 your holding a beast in your hands

Sigma have been smashing the other manufacturers recently! :D

While Canikon have been twidding thier thumbs, Sigma have put out the 50-150 OS which set records in the resolution benchmarks, the 35mm f1.4, and now the 18-35 f1.8 which is a world-first fast zoom (that transmits t1.8!). Oh, and the 120(?)-300 sport jobby too, another insane lens. All of these lenses either match or trounce even the best primes in the world.

Aaaand , they're doing all this at prices that show up Canikon for the dairy farmers that they are. Sigma are serisously rocking at the mo. :cool:

Hi Asker - since your camera doesn't autofocus when shooting video, you should probably stick with geared cine lenses with manual aperture rings. For video shooters, buying an autofocus lens for one of these cameras is a waste of money, in my view.

The best wide non-fisheye cine lens for Canon 550D/600D cameras is the £349.83 Samyang 14mm T3.1 from Amazon UK or the analogous 377.35€ Walimex 14mm T3.1 from Amazon Deutschland. Not very fast, but inexpensive and a good performer.

B Cam on this shoot was the 550D and the widest lens was the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 (same as the Samyang/Walimex/Bower):

http://vimeo.com/56518458

Hope this helps!

Bill

Last edited:
I really like my Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens, even though it's only an f/3.5. Get it for around US$600 now. It's pretty sharp, though it can get a little soft around the edges at 10mm, which is certainly not surprising.

You can see it intercut with Canon 70-300mm IS USM and then a Canon 50mm f/1.4 around the 0:55 mark on this short I shot recently:

https://vimeo.com/75020429

Wow. I'm overwhelmed from all these replies. Thank you guys.

It might have been ideal for me to say that the only lenses I've is 50mm f1.8 and the standard kit lens. Yup, I'm poor. The standard kit lens is useless imo.

The price of Samyang 14mm is definitely a huge bonus for me. It's almost half the price of some of the other lenses mentioned here.

While we are at it, I might as well mention what camera stuff I've (and maybe you can tell me if I'm lacking some essentials).

Canon 550D
Tripod
Monopod
16gb card
1 battery
Wireless Mic (It's from Sony, don't remember the exact name it's of great quality).
RØDE Mic as a boomer (I'm borrowing the wireless mic and røde mic from my school).

And of course the two lenses mentioned above.

Thank you everyone!

Get another battery, and another card (preferably 32GB's). You will want to punch through a wall when your battery or space on your card runs out.

I'd recommend a decent zoom lens.

OP, you have great advice from lots of knowledgeable folks here.

However given you have now said what gear you have, I have to agree with Chimp.

Get an additional battery (or two: I use Pearson's, much cheaper than Canon's and they've worked fine for me) and 32GB cards (or two).

And I'd go for a zoom.

I use a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 with my Canon 6D and it's been fantastic.

It costs just over $800 but you're getting a great lens for your $$$

I use it all the time, it's my primary lens and has proved invaluable.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM f/CANON
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/596257-REG/Sigma_571101_24_70mm_f_2_8_IF_EX.html

The pros here use primes but cost was an issue for me. I didn't have the funds for 2x new good lenses, just one. I also wanted the flexibility a zoom offered. For me, the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 was by far my best choice - and best decision.

Last edited:
Get another battery, and another card (preferably 32GB's). You will want to punch through a wall when your battery or space on your card runs out.

I'd recommend a decent zoom lens.

Yeah I'll have to invest in another. Already been there (running low on battery while shooting), very annoying.

OP, you have great advice from lots of knowledgeable folks here.

However given you have now said what gear you have, I have to agree with Chimp.

Get an additional battery (or two: I use Pearson's, much cheaper than Canon's and they've worked fine for me) and 32GB cards (or two).

And I'd go for a zoom.

I use a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 with my Canon 6D and it's been fantastic.

It costs just over $800 but you're getting a great lens for your $$$

I use it all the time, it's my primary lens and has proved invaluable.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM f/CANON
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/596257-REG/Sigma_571101_24_70mm_f_2_8_IF_EX.html

The pros here use primes but cost was an issue for me. I didn't have the funds for 2x new good lenses, just one. I also wanted the flexibility a zoom offered. For me, the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 was by far my best choice - and best decision.

I've just been afraid to use zoom lenses after working with the standard kit one. Is it still decent DoF and quality even when fully zoomed?

Also, does Sigma 24-70mm qualify as a wide angle lens? :)

The Pro's here also use zooms. Modern zoom lenses are far better than those of yesteryear, and as Sigma have recently demonstrated can actually exceed the performance of primes when done right.

The standard kit lens is poor beacause it's poor, not because it's a zoom. Saying that, I can still get excellent quality and dof out of my kit lens (not that I've used in years!) as I know how to make the most of it. DoF is affected by your aperture, focal length/distance to subject, and sensor size. As you will be using the same apsc sensor, you can control dof by proper aperture selection, and composition.

I would also not recommend any standard zoom designed for full frame cameras for use on apsc for a few reasons -

The focal lengths are too long. Remember to take crop factor into consideration (ie multiply by 1.6 for canon). That really usefull 24-70 ish lens just wont go wide enough. This is why we have 17-50ish standard zooms for crop camera which cover a far more useful focal range.

Cost - ff lenses are much more expensive than the same spec apsc lens.

Weight - they are much heavier than the same spec apsc lens.

Advantages - they will still be useful if you ever decide to switch formats, thus saving in the long run. Your crop camera will also only be using the center of the image circle, thus making the most of the IQ.

Back to some of the suggestions so far -

If looking for an ultrawide, then the samyang 14 mm I would pass on. Go for the Tokina 11-16 2.8 instead. Unlike the Samyang you can fit filters to this, it's got a faster max aperture, is more flexible (zoom), will go even wider/longer (at wide focal lengths every mm counts for a lot), and can be had for around the same price (£360 from digital rev). I would suspect that IQ is better too, though I haven't scoured the web for the test results of these two.

The standard wide-normal zooms - The sigma 24-70 (or any similar lens) I would avoid unless you are planning on going ff. Its designed for larger sensor cameras and is a waste of money on apsc. An apsc equiv such Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC or Sigma 17-55 2.8 OS can be had for less than £300. The Tamron is the best value standard zoom out there at £250 from Digital Rev - http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-sp-af17-50mm-f/ODExMQ_A_A

The Sigma 18-35 1.8 is an amazing quality lens for the money. One of the best performing standard zoom lenses in the world. It is however let down by the small zoom range and lack of IS. It's also more than twice the price of the Tamron above, at around £600.

I agree with Chimp regarding batteries and cards too. Third party batteries in general do not last as long as official Canon ones though. They start off life fine, but I have noticed a definite reduction in both the charge time and duration in use on all those I've encountered/owned. Good cells cost money, so if you do go third party here, go for more expensive ones.

A 45mb/s class10 SD is as fast as you need, as the cam can only feed the card so fast. The sandisk extremes are universally accepted as the best to use.

If I were buying into apsc lenses for vid right now, I would pick up the Tokina 11-16 2.8 (£360), the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC (£250), and (if you dont want to use the Canon 3x crop vid mode) the newer Sigma 50-150 OS (£600) for longer shots. This is by far the best bang-for-buck combo I can think of at the mo.

Last edited:
I'm confused... Wide angle with IS? Surely that is high end price bracket...almost pointless

What WA is that btw? I'm not sure what one are you referring to?

IS is never pointless, regardless of focal length. For stills it's much less of a consideration than on longer lenses due to access to faster shutter speeds than on vid. As a good example though, I shoot a lot of skate footage with a 10mm lens (on apsc, so 16mm ff equiv), and the footage often looks like crap compared to shooting at 17mm (27mm ff equiv) with one of my IS lenses.

If it were possible, I'd have IS on every single lens I own regardless of focal length. So much so that I've even considered getting a body with it built in so I can take advantage of more oldskool manual lenses.

The standard wide-normal zooms - The sigma 24-70 (or any similar lens) I would avoid unless you are planning on going ff. Its designed for larger sensor cameras and is a waste of money on apsc. An apsc equiv such Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC or Sigma 17-55 2.8 OS can be had for less than £300. The Tamron is the best value standard zoom out there at £250 from Digital Rev - http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-sp-af17-50mm-f/ODExMQ_A_A
A.D.'s whole post was excellent, sorry to just quote a bit of it. I should have made clear in my post that my camera (the 6D) was a full frame camera, and the Sigma 24-70 was 24-70 on a full frame and equivalent to 38-112mm on a cropped sensor camera (such as owned by the OP). The B&H page I linked to does say this but I should have made that clear. A.D.'s post and recommendations are excellent.

Thank you for all your replies. I found a used Samyang 14mm lens on the internet and bought that together with a used Glidecam and battery - everything for 800 dollars (and this is in Denmark, a new Glidecam costs about 800$ itself.

So far the Samyang 14mm seems nice.

Back