• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best way to mic an int. car shot

I'm writing a screenplay that has a scene in a car. The driver is alone in this scene, but just for giggles, how would you do it with multiple actors?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'll get a shotgun mic in there where it won't be on camera, and I don't really want to buy a Lav.

Any pointers?

You don't use a shotgun for interiors, you use a cardioid. If you don't want to use lavs - which can be placed on the talent or hidden in the visors or other places in the car - you boom, pistol grip or plant a cardioid dependent upon each shot angle. Every situation is different and requires different solutions.

The shoot I was on a few weeks ago had a long conversation in a (parked) car - they put a cardioid on a magic arm, and clamped it between the two front seats. In another scene, two actors got out of a car (starting a conversation), walked to the back and carried on talking while emptying the boot/trunk - for this, both actors had lavs on, with the boom op standing at the back of the car with a shotgun on a boom. As Alcove says, there's no one solution.

I'm leaving in a few minutes for a location shoot to mic two actors in a pickup truck.

I'm bringing two cardiod that, if possible I'll hide up near the visors pointed at each of the actors, two wired lavs that I'll try on the visors and actors to see which works best, and a third cardiod I'll plant between them on the floor up near the firewall, pointed up toward a spot between the two actors. My biggest concern is their voice bouncing off the windshield.

The truck will be stationary in a small warehouse, blacked out since we're simulating a night scene, and will be rocked by levers placed under the front and back axle, manipulated by off-camera hands.

I'm writing a screenplay that has a scene in a car. The driver is alone in this scene, but just for giggles, how would you do it with multiple actors?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'll get a shotgun mic in there where it won't be on camera, and I don't really want to buy a Lav.

Any pointers?

Back from the shoot. Ended up using lavs on the actors. The cardiods worked o.k., but were a little boomy. We next tried the lavs on the actors and were happy so didn't try other locations.

By the way, the mics were countryman b6.

Last edited:
The cardiods worked o.k., but were a little boomy.

Boomyness can be fixed (most of the time) with a hi-pass EQ. However, it's great that you were paying attention. There have been times where I combined lavs and boomed/planted mics to get the right sound, so make sure the editor gives all of the audio to the dialog editor.

By the way, the mics were countryman b6.

Love 'em; they hide well and sound great.

If you have lavs, use them. If you don't, depending on your shot framing you can switch from between the two actors set low, or from outside the window in (if stationary).

I had the high pass switched on at the mics, and had I been doing the post, I may have kept them for the naturalness of the sound. I, too, really like the b6, and the b3 as well.

I'm considering the VT500 for use under clothing. Pricewise, it's right around the b3.

Boomyness can be fixed (most of the time) with a hi-pass EQ. However, it's great that you were paying attention. There have been times where I combined lavs and boomed/planted mics to get the right sound, so make sure the editor gives all of the audio to the dialog editor.

Love 'em; they hide well and sound great.

Back