Best stabilizer...

I'm looking to buy a ver good dslr stabilizer, one which I can use for very subtle hand held movements, even as a replacement for an slider, so far I've got 3 options, the glidecam 2000 which is expensive, the flycam and the hague motion, will the hage motion or the flycam give same results as the glidecam?.... and what about a good follow focus... which ones would you recommend, for the T2i?...

I'm looking to buy a ver good dslr stabilizer, one which I can use for very subtle hand held movements, even as a replacement for an slider, so far I've got 3 options, the glidecam 2000 which is expensive, the flycam and the hague motion, will the hage motion or the flycam give same results as the glidecam?.... and what about a good follow focus... which ones would you recommend, for the T2i?...

A slow, smooth glide in a straight line is one of the most difficult things to do well on a stabiliser, particularly a low-budget one. If you want the look of a slider, I'd buy a slider.

The Glidecam is by far the best designed and built, but it does come at a price. I'm really not a fan of the Hague's design - the gimbal offers much less flexibility than the Glidecam and Flycam. I own a Flycam Nano and have written a little about my experience with it in this thread (there's some video I shot with it too). If you can afford it I'd go for the Glidecam (the newer HD models are much better than the Pro), but the Flycam would be a decent alternative.

Personally, in my opinion Colin, the flycam nano is just as good IF you are using dslr. I have one and have also used the glidecam hd2000 and I think they are the same. Plus the flycam is way smaller and lighter so it is easy to cary it for longer times. Here is my review of the flycam nano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4gmdx_DMP8

Also for a good follow focus for cheap, check this out:
http://shop.ebay.com/fotocola/m.html?_nkw=follow+focus&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313&clk_rvr_id=246842537816

He is a trusted ebayer and it is a great follow focus. Just make sure you have rails to mount it on. And remember, don't put too much wait on the steadicam. :)

So what's so special about the glidecam?... will it give better stabilization?...

Meh...it's more like a Steadicam which costs appreciably more. The science of stabilization was invented by Steadicam. Everybody else is trying to get around the patent with their own version.

Glidecam has a fixed gimbal that only adjusts in one fashion instead of Steadicam's two. It's not a problem until you really get into balancing and have a journeyman's understanding of the physics of flying a camera. I have two Glidecams:

The 2000HD and the 4000HD with the articulating arm/vest package (X-10). I still basically suck at operating both, but other people think the footage is amazing. I don't claim to be a Glidecam/Steadicam operator, so let's take that off the resume. It's hard to master, and easy to get a few decent shots. Does that help?

Back