• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Place to Get Gels?

Hi,

I have a set of three 24inch by 32inch softboxes that take CFLs (I'm currently using 425-Watt-equivalents worth of quasi-daylightish bulbs in all three boxes) as shown here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064L8MCC/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_dp_1

and I have been unable to find any "stater packs" of different gels for that size of a light. I can find packs of 12"x12" gels, but the places that offer 2ftx3ft sheets are selling them at like $17 each.

These fixtures with these bulbs emit a constant 5000K, and I'm looking to try to find enough different colored gels to experiment. But if I get three different colors (or even different shades of the same color) of gels, they'd cost more than the entire light system. :(

Are there other sources of gels that I just haven't found, or do you know of any places where I could get lots of different colors of 2ftx3ft sized leftover ends of rolls of gels?
:mope:

On the CFL lights, you can wrap the actual bulb up - not needing the larger single piece to cover the front of the softbox. Whether using a large piece of gel, or wrapping the bulbs, you'll lose a tonne of output. Soooo.....

these bulbs emit a constant 5000K

Are you needing the gels for basic colour temp fixes? If so, just go to Home Depot and raid their CFL light section. They sell CFL bulbs in at least three colour temps (2700, 3700, & 5500 or thereabouts). You can get a set of four 100w-equivs for about $10. There will be a bunch more info on the packaging, too, including lumens. (The mid-range ones have much less output)

Here's an example of two random ranges offered: 2800k & 5500k, but these are pricey examples. These are cheaper than dirt down at Home Depot, so get them down there.

The colours not going to be 100%, but it adds a lot of versatility to your cheap-o light boxes. :cool:

Woah, that's absolutely right! These things probably are cool enough to wrap, and I didn't even think about stocking a variety of bulbs-- brilliant way to not lose the extra stop levels.

Edit: I went back and looked at the lights again and it turns out that each bulb actually pulls 85W (not equiv. as I mis-spoke in the previous post). Each bulb that came with the lights is a 300W equiv (5,600 lumens) and the fixtures support five of them so each is a 1500W-eqivalent source. Don't know what the falloff is compared to other types of lights, though.

These particular bulbs are not fantastically high on the CRI scale (about 84) but to go any higher, I'd be looking at things in a much higher price range.

Again, thanks a million. I hate to ask such stupid newbie questions, but I am sure glad I asked.

Last edited:
I have a very similar 3-piece kit like the one you posted. Are you sure that the 300w bulb is not just the single bulb that goes in the backlight/overhead softbox? That's how mine is arranged, with the remainder of the bulbs being 42-ish watt draws for an equiv of 100w lightbulb, apiece x 10.

Heh, time for me to look & check for new sizes down at the Depot.

d
idn't even think about stocking a variety of bulbs

I keep a variety on hand, and not just for actual light kits either. Sometimes a practical needs something different, and it's often easier to switch out a bulb than try to wrap scrap ctb around the inside of the lampshade. Or a million other reasons. They just come in useful.

Last edited:
Great advice, thanks.

Are you sure that the 300w bulb is not just the single bulb that goes in the backlight/overhead softbox? That's how mine is arranged, with the remainder of the bulbs being 42-ish watt draws for an equiv of 100w lightbulb, apiece x 10.

Mine came with fifteen 85 Watt bulbs:

CBStudioCFLs.jpg

Mine came with fifteen 85 Watt bulbs: (pic)

Heh, looks like I need to be catching up myself, then. I could use some of those in my kit. :blush:

Getting back to the topic of gels, though... 'cos we all need 'em...

For Diffusion & Colour gels in a size you need, try your local rental/expendable place. They might offer gel for sale by the sq foot (lopping off from an entire roll), the same way you can buy carpet. You can purchase a shade/colour of your required needs without plopping down $150 for an entire roll, per colour/diff.

Also, back to Home Depot for just one sec... tired of those blown-out windows in your shots that either go straight to white, or get haphazardly covered up with shades which make it plainly obvious that you are covering up blown-out windows with shades because light leaks around the edges and blows it out anyway? (if that made sense lol). Home Depot sells window tinting film in various strengths. It can be used effectively as Neutral Density filters for your windows. Obviously, it requires some prep time - but then again, so should a movie in general. This stuff is not so easy to re-use (though possible) as it has to get cut to the actual window measurements, but if you've ever had to bite your tongue when coming face to face with a lo-end camera's lattitude - this stuff is worth its weight in gold(en Oscars).

It's late & I'm rambling lol. :blush:

Back