Best harddrive

Hello:

We're about to shoot our indie and need to purchase harddrives...someone suggested the LaCie 301827U d2 Quadra 1 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 External Hard Disk.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Tru

After doing my research and looking up external hard drives on Consumer Report, my opinion is Western Digital. The only hard drives that might have been better were Maxtor.

I am happy with my Western Digital hard drive, its just too small. I hope to get a bigger one very soon...

-- spinner :cool:

I am not sure if you are still looking into harddrives but I have been using Seagate Barracuda hard drives for a while now and have had no problems with them. I have two western digital hard drives die on my before so I switched to Seagate because of their very impressive 6 year warranty. I just bought a 500gig internal Seagate and then purchased an IcyDock firewire external case and put them together for fairly cheap and have had no problems working with mac/windows based systems.

As for the harddrive issue.. I've had poor luck with Lacie drives as well, I think they often tend to use very small cases that do not allow for any airflow, and ultimately end up causing the drive to cook itself. While it's always nice to have something silent, I would highly recommend something with cooling fans. Hard drives do an awful lot of work, especially when being used for video editing, keeping them as cool as possible is the best way to ensure they last. Also, regularly backing things up is a good idea.

Back