• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best choice in sound equipment

Ok so I have a decent camera, a couple lights, pretty much everything but a decent audio recorder. I do have a rode video mic, not the video mic pro just the standard one. I plan on picking up the Tascam dr100 mkii for $250. Would i be alright just using a XLR adaptor and plugging the video mic into the Tascam until I can get a better mic? Also what do you recommend for indie budget mic's that are good with this recorder? I don't plan to spend more then 300max on the mic.

In the $0-300 price range your best bet is probably going to be one of these options:

Audio-Technica AT897
Oktava mk-012

The oktava needs phantom power, audio technica can run on an internal (AA) battery or phantom

There are also cheaper options, the Azden SGM-1x for example.

You didn't really specify the type of mic you're looking for, so I assumed you meant a shotgun since that's typically what people ask about on indietalk. But, you didn't indicate if you have a boom or not, so I assume you do not, that'd be another expense, along with good XLR cables, and probably a blimp.

It all adds up, and a lot quicker than it seems like it should. ;)

well i'm using the mic to film. I won't always have a boom op so i will probably end up mounting the mic on a stand or something when i don't have a boom op or just mounting the mic on the camera with the recorder also attached.

i will probably end up mounting the mic on a stand or something when i don't have a boom op or just mounting the mic on the camera with the recorder also attached.

This is probably the absolutely worst thing you can do as far as sound-for-picture is concerned. A boom-op, even an inexperienced one, will give you much better sound than if the mic is camera mounted. Putting it on a stand is not much better than camera mounted unless you are doing static interviews.

Ok thanks for the help I bought the dr100 mkii. Still trying to figure it all out. What if I don't had a boom operator ? The short I'm filming only involves one actor. I need a way to get good sound if I don't have a boom operator. Just me and the actor and I'm filming. What is the best way i can get this audio? I have a rode video mic to plug Into the dr100 as well

Back