Best all around lens for t2i for film making

Hey guys,

What is an all around best lens for the t2i for film making? Is there a lens that is both great for taking pictures and videos? What if I primaraly interested in making films?

Thanks,

Roman

In my opinion, the closest you can get to a great "all around" canon lens is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L.

Still not perfect for everything, each situation requires something different. That's the closest you'll get I think.

In my opinion, the closest you can get to a great "all around" canon lens is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L.

Still not perfect for everything, each situation requires something different. That's the closest you'll get I think.

The 17-55 f/2.8 is a great substitute for that on non-FF cameras.

I am just buying the Canon Rebel T2i with the lens. I will worry more about good lens later, and my father has a old picture camera that you have to use film with that has lens.

I have the T2i and the kit lens 18-55 is great IMO.. I also have the Canon 50 1.8, a Phoenix / Contax 24mm 2.0 , a Contax 135 and a Phoenix / Contax 28 210mm f 3.5 . The 28 - 210 is a little soft but I still like it for closer shots

+1 on the Canon 24-70 2.8L

:) One day I will come to the promise land, but for us APS-C custodians, the 17-55 f/2.8 is about as good as it gets for anything zoom that is also wide. It turns out to be a 27-88 and I wish they would just call it that since it is limited to the APS-C family. And the dang thing is only $170.00 less than The 24-70 f/2.8L.

Cameras are like golf. Every time you buy a new driver, your putters look warn out. :yes::lol:

:) One day I will come to the promise land, but for us APS-C custodians, the 17-55 f/2.8 is about as good as it gets for anything zoom that is also wide. It turns out to be a 27-88 and I wish they would just call it that since it is limited to the APS-C family. And the dang thing is only $170.00 less than The 24-70 f/2.8L.

Cameras are like golf. Every time you buy a new driver, your putters look warn out. :yes::lol:

I havent used the 17-55 yet so perhaps i dont know how good it is. But i can vouch for the quality of the L series glass. As for APS-C, one is going to be at a short end with either zoom. The 24-70 is not going to be wide enough for some scenarios and some serious landscape photography. And the 17-55 is not going to be long enough for some scenarios and some serious portraiture work.

If you've used both, i wouldn't mind hearing a comparison for my knowledge if ur up to it :)

PS, Im an APS-C custodian as well

Ahhh guys this is all curse language to me lol

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L ?
28 - 210 ?

FF cameras and no FF?

Is there a place i can go to, to learn about different lenses and what each one actually does....?

budget? well that depends because if a lense is just about all around good for film making, than i will start to save up.....

also, what do i need out of a lense for making films? I understand I will need a few, but mostly? wide lense? zoom lense?

I havent used the 17-55 yet so perhaps i dont know how good it is. But i can vouch for the quality of the L series glass. As for APS-C, one is going to be at a short end with either zoom. The 24-70 is not going to be wide enough for some scenarios and some serious landscape photography. And the 17-55 is not going to be long enough for some scenarios and some serious portraiture work.

If you've used both, i wouldn't mind hearing a comparison for my knowledge if ur up to it :)
PS, Im an APS-C custodian as well

I haven't used both, like yourself. If I've insulted you in some way, I apologize. That wasn't my intention.

I haven't used both, like yourself. If I've insulted you in some way, I apologize. That wasn't my intention.

Lol, no. You haven't. Thats y i put the smiley at the end, i wanted to make sure i didnt come off in that way. I honestly just wanted your opinion on both lenses because i felt that perhaps i was missing on/didnt know about a good option there.

Besides, theres no correct answer anyway to the original question. The OP's best "all around" lens depends on what his/her usual "all around" needs are.

EDIT: Upon rereading my previous post, i realize asking for ur opinion may have come off as sarcastic. Once again i honestly did want your opinion. And i thought the smiley would negate any tones of sarcasm.

Lol, no. You haven't. Thats y i put the smiley at the end, i wanted to make sure i didnt come off in that way. I honestly just wanted your opinion on both lenses because i felt that perhaps i was missing on/didnt know about a good option there.

Besides, theres no correct answer anyway to the original question. The OP's best "all around" lens depends on what his/her usual "all around" needs are.

EDIT: Upon rereading my previous post, i realize asking for ur opinion may have come off as sarcastic. Once again i honestly did want your opinion. And i thought the smiley would negate any tones of sarcasm.

Not a problem. I'm still kind of new and not above irritating the natives by mistake. Peace, my friend.

I re-read too and am trying to isolate why the hell I came up with "custodians." :lol:

Roman G
Ahhh guys this is all curse language to me lol

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L ?
28 - 210 ?

FF cameras and no FF?

Is there a place i can go to, to learn about different lenses and what each one actually does....?

I did some googling and some rounding up of some of my own previous research to respond. I'm learning this stuff, too; so it also helps me to bring some of this stuff together in a post. Hope it helps.

APS-C.

Trusty ol' Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

The above linked page has a nice little paragraph about EF-S lenses.

The take home from the above is that the sensors of these cameras are smaller than 35 mm standard film.

That means a narrower field of view...

...and a crop factor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

And this page, "Image sensor format," is a really nice one, as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

By FF on this thread, I'm sure folks are talking about full frame DSLR cameras. Here's Wikipedia on full frame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR

It sounds like you already have a T2i. Reading the threads and posts here on Indie Talk, it sure sounds like a great choice. FF DSLRs would be primo, but something like the Mark ii goes for almost three-grand...and that's just for starters. Anyway, you would be using EF lenses with one of those, not an EF-S.

Because I just saw this review of the T3i last night and really liked it, I'm just going to throw this out there. It really sells the video (and the still photography) capabilities of the T3i --and the T2i, as well, since we're told by many sources that they are essentially the same camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arr6ZYuabQY

You asked for directions to good online information about lenses. Actually, Canon's own site is a good (and a pretty) source.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

And I happen to like Ken Rockwell's site a lot.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm

Last edited:
Back