Beginner camera under $1,000?

Hello everyone,

I've been using a Canon ZR 80 and looking to upgrade to a "prosumer" camera in the $700-1,000 range for independent films. I've been looking at the Canon HV40. However, I think I might want to go for something that uses flash or HD. Should I get the HV40? If not, what would be its closest flash or HD equivalent? Would you recommend something else altogether? I was lucky enough to get free lighting from a relative who used to do film production, so additional expense in that area is not an issue. Also, the camera should have a mic input. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

I've been using a Canon ZR 80 and looking to upgrade to a "prosumer" camera in the $700-1,000 range for independent films. I've been looking at the Canon HV40. However, I think I might want to go for something that uses flash or HD. Should I get the HV40? If not, what would be its closest flash or HD equivalent? Would you recommend something else altogether? I was lucky enough to get free lighting from a relative who used to do film production, so additional expense in that area is not an issue. Also, the camera should have a mic input. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have the HV40, and I am pretty happy with it, but I don't think you'd call it "prosumer"

I don't know why, but it makes me laugh every time you chime in with the importance of audio.

I think he should change his name to Audio Evangelist! (With the exclamation point, like the title of a musical.)

Good audio is truly important. It's like the filmmaking equivalent of flossing -- it's the last thing many people think about, but they'll be sorry if they forget it.

Back