Avid MC7 vs. Adobe Creative Cloud?

Well, as much as I want to like Final Cut Pro X, the fact that it doesn't include proper DVD authoring and is technically trackless is too weird for me. Like a lot of us, I like to have my media on certain tracks; main footage on video track 1 with main audio on audio track 1, titles/overlays on video track 2, sound effects on audio track 2 and music on audio track 3, etc., and FCPX just breaks that for me.

I was considering Adobe Premiere Pro, but Adobe only do subscription-based software now. In other words, I would have to pay $75/month in order to use Premiere Pro (granted I get access to After Effects and Photoshop as well), and would never technically own it. After 1 year, I would spend almost $900, but never be able to keep it. Adobe simply don't believe in that anymore! Is this true, or does anyone know if I could actually buy a permanent license for CS6? I can't find anything about it on their site. I love the look of After Effects and Premiere Pro, but the fact that the software is subscription-based is just WEIRD and WRONG!

This led me to look into Avid, and I must say it looks incredibly promising! For $1000, you get Media Composer 7, AvidFX and AvidDVD, and for an additional $1500 you can add on Symphony, which includes advanced color grading and special effects options.

Now, even though I disagree with Adobe's stance on software these days, they could end up being the better option for me, because they do let you cancel your membership at any time, and I'm sure they'd let you renew it just as easily. This could work out to my benefit in terms of my budget, and the value could be fantastic! Oh, the potential profit from DVD sales... :D

However, to have an almost identical and far more praised system such as Avid might end up being the better value in the long run. I wouldn't need Symphony right away since I have Motion 5 (which has limited color correction/grading and decent levels adjustments tools), and could always add it on later if I felt I truly needed it. But, even after 2 full years with Adobe Creative Cloud/CS6, I would have spent only $1800 for access to ALL of their professional applications. But like I said, I would never truly own the software, the prices only increase exponentially, plus who's to say Adobe wouldn't up the prices per month? That's another MAJOR concern a lot of people share.

What do you guys think would be the better value? What are your experiences with Adobe CS6 and Avid (any version)? Philip Bloom (whom I idolize) recommends CS6, but that was before Adobe made it available through subscription only, and he constantly praises Avid for being a better program and system anyway, just very expensive for most average Joes.

If anyone has any recommendations and experience with Adobe's new business model, please comment and share your thoughts! I really like the sound of Premiere Pro and After Effects, but Avid is really drawing my attention at the moment. I just don't want to pay $2500 for all of it! :P

EDIT: I finally (after like 3 hours of searching) found out that you CAN still buy CS6 for $1900 right-out, although I will admit I am tempted to try the plan for a month to see if I like the software!

I'm still really tempted with Avid though, since a lot of people seem to really like that a lot more than Adobe.

Last edited:
Have you used either pieces of software?

Which do you prefer to use? Which works best for you?

Once you have that answer, the choice is probably simple, right?

The rest of the questions seem to be based on your financial situation. That's not really something we can help you with.

Well, I prefer Adobe for sure because I've used versions of Premiere Elements in the past and found it to be quite a decent workflow. I've also tried previous demos of Premiere Pro and found them to be pretty good (except for CS5, that one seemed really buggy for some reason!).

I downloaded the trials of Avid MC7 and Premier Pro CC, I've only had time to try out Premiere Pro for tonight (it's late!) and so far I'm really, really liking it. Everything is really responsive and having a proper timeline-based editing application is wonderful. Plus no transcoding is AWESOME! :D

I just read, though, that Adobe won't be updating Encore past Cs6 because they also feel DVD distribution is going the way of the do-do bird. This is true, but I still would like to have the option. I guess Apple aren't the only ones ditching the old ways!

I'll play around with Avid MC7 a bit tomorrow as well, but so far I'm leaning more towards Adobe. I realized their plans actually aren't that bad of an idea, because you can automatically access future versions of the software for no additional costs, or upgrade prices! After two years, with the annual $50/month plan/commitment, that's only $1200 total, and with Adobe's release cycle by then it would've been time to upgrade to the next version of CS anyway, so you already come out at least around $600-$800 ahead!

EDIT: What the heck, Encore isn't included in Creative Cloud! Augh!

May very well end up with Avid afterall, or figuring out another way to burn DVDs... yeesh, shouldn't be this hard! /edit

Shame they'll be ditching Encore, though I can see why they are. Hell, I've not used a DVD/CD drive in almost a year, and not at all on my iMac (I don't even miss it). I bought a $50 external drive and haven't needed it yet, and I'm thinking the only time I will need it is when I burn these DVDs.

The rest of the questions seem to be based on your financial situation. That's not really something we can help you with.

True, but I was just hoping for some advice, what people would recommend, etc.,. I like getting as many opinions about things as possible, and even though I can't afford Avid today (or CS6 total, for that matter), I would definitely be willing to save for it if it proves to be better in the long run!

EDIT 2: Ok, Encore CS6 is able to be installed, you just have to download the CS6 version of Premiere Pro and not the CC version, then you can choose to download Encore and install it. So nevermind, it is included! Kind of. :P

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting, but I can't seem to edit my last post, my browser doesn't want to let me...

I tried Avid MC7, and it is super complicated! I really don't like it all. Plus, I hate that there are no waveform displays for audio (that I could find), and no frame previews on the clips. I did like some of the way editing works in it, but it just feels really, really complicated and Adobe feels way more streamlined for me.

I think I will give Creative Cloud a shot. When you break it down, it's actually not a bad deal!

I tried Avid MC7, and it is super complicated! I really don't like it all. Plus, I hate that there are no waveform displays for audio (that I could find), and no frame previews on the clips. I did like some of the way editing works in it, but it just feels really, really complicated and Adobe feels way more streamlined for me.

All of those things are available in Avid. I found Avid a very different way of working, but once I got used to it, I probably cut 50%+ faster than I did on FCP. There's certainly a much steeper learning curve, however.

Avid's also meant for professional cutting in an environment where effects will be applied by someone else, and therefore doesn't include a lot of the fancy filters etc. found in FCP or Premiere.

I must not have dug deep enough for the waveforms/frame previews. :P

I think I still prefer Adobe just because it's more or less what I'm used to by now, though it certainly is vastly different from Premiere Elements 10 or 11!

One thing I love? The ability to export your current timeline straight into SpeedGrade, so you can edit your sequence with sound and everything and then grade it all later! SpeedGrade seems a bit odd, but I think once I learn it I'll get the hang of it.

Really thinking I'll join Creative Cloud. It's a better value in the long run for sure!

I may upgrade to Avid someday, however, because it does seem like everybody really likes it over all of the other editors out there. I just can't justify the cost of $1000 up front for MC, nor the additional $1500 it would take to get Symphony as well!

I may upgrade to Avid someday, however, because it does seem like everybody really likes it over all of the other editors out there. I just can't justify the cost of $1000 up front for MC, nor the additional $1500 it would take to get Symphony as well!

Of course it's up to you in the end - but it seems pointless to invest a large amount of money into a piece of software that you'll eventually be getting rid of anyway. Why spend $1000 on CC, then $1000 on MC7? Assuming you're serious about eventually upgrading.

Symphony is not a necessary or essential upgrade.

Of course it's up to you in the end - but it seems pointless to invest a large amount of money into a piece of software that you'll eventually be getting rid of anyway. Why spend $1000 on CC, then $1000 on MC7? Assuming you're serious about eventually upgrading.

Symphony is not a necessary or essential upgrade.

True, it does seem pointless to spend that much on Creative Cloud when I may upgrade to Avid. :P

However, I have tried the trial of Avid again and it's just too weird for me, so I likely won't ever go to Avid after all. The interface feels really complicated and it just isn't as easy as Premiere Pro for me. Plus, I like the tight integration of Adobe products!

It's nice that Symphony isn't essential, though. I suppose they make it look like it is to get more money out of a person.

I'm really digging the notion of Creative Cloud right now! Yes, prices may (and likely will!) go up eventually, but for what you're getting it's still a pretty sweet deal, and great for people on a budget who may only need the software for a couple of months!

Avid is very powerful, but there's a steep learning curve.

It also somewhat depends on what your plans are for your future. Do you want to break into Hollywood, when Avid (and learn FCP) may be your better option as it is still mostly industry standard. If you're only editing your own productions, then Adobe may suit you better.

Good luck in your decision.

Avid is very powerful, but there's a steep learning curve.

It also somewhat depends on what your plans are for your future. Do you want to break into Hollywood, when Avid (and learn FCP) may be your better option as it is still mostly industry standard. If you're only editing your own productions, then Adobe may suit you better.

Good luck in your decision.

Hehe, I would LOVE to break into Hollywood of course, but we'll see how that goes! :lol:

I'll play around with the demo of Avid a bit more before I make any final decisions. Only seems logical!

You know, I spent a lot of time thinking it over, and it's far more cost effective to stay with FCPX. I think I can deal with lack of DVD support and the new magnetic timeline. As cool as Creative Cloud seems and as good as Avid seems, they're both just too expensive!

Back