Auditioning via Skype

Hi guys,

I have a shoot this weekend for my film and I've posted a listing on an auditioning site and have been in contact with a few actors.

At this stage I don't have time to meet any of them in person before the shoot and so I am planning a Skype audition, which I've never really done before (I've never really done auditions before either, all just actors who friends of friends know).

So does anyone have any tips for auditioning people, particularly over Skype?

The film is a 90second film, with two actors and a brief dialogue scene. I obviously don't really have time to be picky, I just need some confidence to say/ask the right things to these actors to make sure they remain interested. At this stage they like the script which is good :)

Cheers guys!

With a 90 second film, just get them to actor out their part. You read in the other part and they'll do the rest.

The great thing about aspiring actors is that they'll take anything super-seriously if they think it will get them a job. I've done some really rubbish auditions – one where the lights wouldn't turn on and we had to audition them using only the light of a heater, and one where we couldn't get the camera to work and ended up filming them on my phone – and no-one has ever said anything. For my last set of auditions, I just auditioned people in my living room. I know people who book out hotel conference rooms to make a big/good impressions with auditions, but, honestly, most jobbing actors just want exciting work and they know that acting superior in auditions is not the way to go about it.

So, in conclusion, I'd just get them to act out the scene, as that's the easiest way to judge for your task. And don't worry about doing the right thing or asking the right questions. They'll take you seriously whatever, you've just got to make sure you get all the information out of it that you need.

Hey! I actually just auditioned an actor via skype 2 days ago. I did it once before. It's really an imperfect ordeal, especially if there's a delay. But I read with the actor (I'll also be acting in the movie) and my producer watched - it's good to have someone else for additional feedback. We talked quite a bit with the actor about his character, his general physical state - I was working with a very active 17 year old actor and the role was for a guy who's stoned a lot and has a lot of grief over the loss of his father. So once I explained the physical and emotional state with this kid he really started changing his reading and his general physical expression and I could see that he was the right fit for the character. Just by how he took direction very quickly.

There's no way getting around how awkward it is to audition with a person on the computer, so it's really best to admit that from the beginning and let the actor know that you understand the limitations on his/her performance because of the situation.

But that said - Jennifer Lawrence read for Silver Linings Playbook through skype, so there you go!

Best of luck!

Back