Audio Upgrade thoughts...

For the longest time I've been using
Lumix GH2 with Rode Stereo Pro (zero gain in camer pre-amps)
Zoom H4n with a Rode NTG-2 with DS6 Deluxe Windscreen

I'm pretty happy with the set-up but it does have some weakness outdoors and for group coverage in somewhat noisy places.

Looking to upgrade my sound:
Add a Sennheiser mkh416 $1000
Add a Oktava MK-012 Film $400
Add a Rycote S450KT Wind Blimp $350

Continue to run through the H4n, may at a later date look at the H6 or Tascam equivalent.

Thoughts from audio experts on this?

Total budget $1,750

Instead of the MKH-416 check out the Rode NTG-3 ($700); it's known as the "poor mans" -416, and is $300 cheaper. According to the pro production sound community the NTG3 is slightly warmer than the 416 and has a few degrees larger pickup pattern.

The Oktava is very prone to handling noise, and overly sensitive to "wind;" consider the Audio Technica AT4053b ($600). The $300 savings from the NTG-3 will cover the extra cost.

The Rycote blimp is very nice.

$1,650.

You should also consider a mixer like the PSC ProMix3 ($470) or the Sound Devices MM-1 ($500) and use the H4n as a recorder only. As long as you're getting nicer mics why pollute them with the crappy preamps of the H4n? If you really want to splurge the Sound Devices MixPre-D is $900.

You also may want to consider keeping the NTG-2, getting the AT4053b and replacing the H4n with a Marantz PMD-661 ($500, $650 with case and extra card) or Tascam HD-P2 ($700, a case is another $150).

$1,200/$1,350/$1,400/$1,550 plus $350 for the Rycote blimp.

Last edited:
Careful with Oktava. They can be awesome and they can be crap. They don't handle their production quality very well... so you don't know if the mic is good by model number... only if you test and trial that invididual mic. But if you get a good one, they are very crisp.

AT and Sennheiser make consistent quality products, so does Rode.

We will compare the NTG-3 with the 416, but this is a mic I'm willing to spend the extra money on.

The Oktava will be for indoor use only, I know it can be hit or miss, but I'm talking to the supplier and definitely indicating that I want which ever one they send me to be checked or its going back.

I'll look into other options for the H4n, but it needs to stay mobile as much as possible as rule (I dislike needing power point on a shoot cause extra cables can be trippy).

If you check out forums for production sound folks (like Jeff Wexlers site) you'll find lots of good things said about the NTG-3. For your purposes (especially the slightly wider polar pattern) it sounds like a good choice.

When I say "wind" when referring to the Oktava, simply moving the mic a few inches (like changing angles between actors) can sound like a gale when recorded. I know engineers who complain that they can't use it too close to cymbals or hi-hats on a drum kit, and that they can't use it on bass cabinets or large speaker guitar cabinets (large speakers displace A LOT of air). The Oktava became popular because it was inexpensive, not because it was a great production sound mic.

If you want to go less expensive on the hyper consider the sE Electronics SE1A ($200); not bad for the price.

If you intend on recording drama you will spend quite a lot of time indoors so I'd be wary of getting a 'compromise' hyper. I'm also at the stage where I want to add a hyper to my arsenal but don't want to spend the majority of my time swinging an inferior mic.
If I didn't already have the 416 I'd compromise a bit on the shotty and go for the rode and spend the savings on a better hyper. I myself would rather hang in there and make do with the 416 (it's real strength and popularity is that it is an 'all-rounder') and hire in a hyper when there is a budget.

@Alcove, I'm glad you mentioned the SE range of mics. I had a chance to use a few the other week and was quite impressed for the price and SE claim to loan out test mics. Have you ever used the SE4 with hyper cap? I used the SE4 cardioid as an ambient mic going into my tascam (needed the pres as SD decided in their infinite wisdom that 2 pres on a 4 track is adequate) so not really a fair test but their cheap large diaphragm sounded pretty sweet on a Chinese flute or £80.

Back