Audio spitballing

My advice would be to eBay the H1 and either get a Tascam DR-100 or Zoom H4n. Both of these units have XLR connectors. The mini connector is simply not reliable. It's prone to interference, easily comes unplugged, will make noise at the smallest touch. As for tucking away the H1 on a person, do you really want to wait until the end of the interview to find out there was hiss in the audio, or it accidentally stopped recording, or any of the other infinite issues that could happen? Having headphones to monitor audio as you record is an absolute must.

As for using an external mic on the GH2, you have the issue of using a mini plug as well as the issue of having no headphone jack to monitor the audio. Also, if you just mount the mic on the camera you'll still be recording camera sounds.

Last edited:
Instead of "do I get this or do I get that?" how about taking a look at your career and your current and future needs. First; is this your career? If the answer is yes you should invest in your career.

Yes, I have bought cheap gear over the years; the reason I bought it was to fill a gap when my regular/normal piece of gear was broken and in for repairs, and stayed in my kit as an emergency back-up.

Otherwise I have always done a lot of research before buying a piece of gear. Is it going to do the job? Is it (within reason) going to be upward compatible? Is it going to take a beating? The questions are not just, "will it do the job?" but "is it a solid investment in my career?" I then save up enough to get the proper tool for the job, not cheap out and get the first thing that I can afford. It's an investment in my career and having quality will advance my career. Not having to replace it because it's not compatible with future purchases saves me money, which is good for my career. Not having to replace it in the short term is good for my finances, which is good for my career. See where I'm going here?

Is the H1 with an external mic going to cut it?

Maybe, but probably not in the long run. The mini-pin connection is never a 100% sure thing, and will tend to be noisy.

What about the GH2 with external mic?

95% no. The same as above with the addition of very, very substandard audio electronics (even noisier).

Are the recorders good enough that with good technique (yes, that is going to involve a learning curve) they can do passable audio?

The Tascam DR-100 is a (barely) acceptable entry level unit. It at least is low impedance, has passable preamps and is a reasonably robust build. It will make a decent back-up when you get the real thing, and is cool for picking up a quick sound effect.

Mics are a much better investment if you choose wisely. The Audio Technica AT879 and Rode NTG-2 will last for years, through quite a few cameras. I have mics that are 15 - 20 years old, one that's close to 40, and they still hold a very substantial percentage of their original purchase price, even after all these years. I don't get rid of mics, I keep adding to the collection. How much did you get on trade-in for your previous camera? Ten percent? I'll get 40% to 60% for many of my mics, but I have no intention of selling them, they're still very useful. Is your previous camera still useful?

One thing that you have to keep in mind if you are doing documentary work is that you only get one shot at a lot of things; are you going to rely on sound gear of dubious quality?

Now, to be totally contrary... There is nothing wrong with buying really cheap pieces of gear to learn on, but be aware that it will have no value as you upgrade. For instance, if you get the H1 any mic you purchase must be able to supply its own phantom power. The "real" professional mics must have a mixer or recorder that supplies phantom power. And the Rode VM would not be compatible with low impedance mixers and recorders. Can the cheap pieces of gear be used to advantage in the future? Yes, but they will not have an impact on improving your sound when you upgrade.

Back