Audio for 8 people indoors

sfoster

Staff Member
After attending pax my brother wants to start a gaming channel on youtube.
He asked me to help produce it but there will be 8 people playing at once, all sitting in a row or L shape couch.

I told him that we either need a sound guy to wield a boom pole or we need to buy additional microphones for my 4 channel audio recorder.

What do you think of that approach, using some stands and placing one hypercardioid for every 2 people?

As a former YouTuber gamer, this is what I would do..

Either two laptops or a laptop and desktop or whatever combo you need to have 8 usb inputs.

8 rockband mics
microphone.jpg

8 desk mic stands
image.jpg

8 pop filters
41-7htGy6eL._SY300_.jpg

Connect the wires, get them all at a desk.

Boom.

$30 USD for every person, so probably $240.

Some might disagree, but it works.

Last edited:
Interesting, it's cheap enough to try one of those mics. Thanks.

Now if I can ask a stupid question…

Why is it that you never see a pop filter attached to a boom pole?

Because you never get close enough to get plosives (Bs and Ps) that hit the (usually large) diaphragm mic; how often do you get the mic in this close on-set?

test_mic_performance4.jpg

And you basically want to do something like this with eight players and or commentators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9A2Lfcp-s

Again - what's your budget? Mixing eight (8) people and the video game sound simultaneously can be a challenge.

Set up whatever mics and other gear you have and do a test; see what you're up against.

Because you never get close enough to get plosives (Bs and Ps) that hit the (usually large) diaphragm mic; how often do you get the mic in this close on-set?

test_mic_performance4.jpg

I'm very talented with the boom pole :cool:

And you basically want to do something like this with eight players and or commentators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS9A2Lfcp-s

Again - what's your budget? Mixing eight (8) people and the video game sound simultaneously can be a challenge.

Set up whatever mics and other gear you have and do a test; see what you're up against.

Yeah but the plan is for me to whip pan the video to whoever is talking at the time. So there won't be 8 boxes with different people - and the game is a single shared screen.

I don't know exactly what the budget is but I think this whole project is in the trial stage right now. What All-Star recommended is an unbelievably cheap solution.

You could probably do the same with cheap headsets and analog to USB convertors,

21BpWnEspPL._SY300_.jpg

or even gamer headsets.

41jrblYM-nL._SY300_.jpg

At least with headsets your audio is in close, you won't miss anything when they turn their heads, you won't get all that "room" and really reduce crosstalk. Maybe a combo of mics and headsets? There are just too many variables.

1. As Alcove said, you don't get as close with a boom and
2. A boom mic is never directly in line with the airstream from the talent's mouth, usually the mic on the boom would be well above the talent's mouth, angled down at a tangent to the airstream. This above and angled down approach is occasionally done in studios when recording singers as well, in which case a pop shield may not be necessary.

What All-Star recommended is an unbelievably cheap solution.

The important word in that sentence is "unbelievable"! If you can get all the mics All-Star Productions suggested very close (a few inches) to each of your subjects' mouths there's a slim chance it might work but mounted on the suggested desk stands a couple of feet (or more) almost certainly won't. If the mics are more than a few inches away and out of the direct airstream you probably wouldn't need the suggested pop shields, so it would be even cheaper! However, although I haven't bothered looking them up, almost certainly these mics have a cardioid polar pattern and will pickup sound from the side almost as much as they do from the direction in which they are pointed. Not only will you therefore get a lot of room noise but you'll also get a lot of "spill", other gamers being picked up on all the other mics not pointed at them. That will result in an editing and mixing nightmare, where just eliminating phase issues and getting a very noisy mix would be an achievement!

Some might disagree, but it works.

I'd very much like to hear any example you have of multiple (more than one) subjects and desktop mounted Rockband mics, to understand your definition of "it works".

I have a turtle beach px5 headset that was nearly $200 but if I hook it up to my PC via bluetooth it sounds like I'm talking through a tin can.

AFAIK, the bluetooth protocol does not provide steady or wide enough bandwidth for full quality audio. All the bluetooth systems I'm aware of, data compress the audio stream with very lossy codecs. Usually in this scenario 8 channels of wireless headset lavs would be used but that's going to be pricey! Next best option would be wired headset lavs, still fairly pricey but many times less pricey than wireless. Next down the list of options would be one of Alcove's suggestions.

As Alcove stated to start with, 8 subjects all in relatively close proximity is a challenge. Even with expensive gear operated by pros it would be challenging. Your one potential saving grace is the low quality expectations on Youtube. Whichever budget option you decide on, it would be wise to test it out first with 8 subjects (as difficult as that may be) because there's a fairly high probability of something not working as you expect/hope, either with the audio itself or with the data management of 8 simultaneous USB streams.

G

After attending pax my brother wants to start a gaming channel on youtube.
He asked me to help produce it but there will be 8 people playing at once, all sitting in a row or L shape couch.

I told him that we either need a sound guy to wield a boom pole or we need to buy additional microphones for my 4 channel audio recorder.

What do you think of that approach, using some stands and placing one hypercardioid for every 2 people?

I'm personally into audio myself, and I've worked with ultra pro guys... however, we've never dealt with this scenario.

Main question... What device are you capturing on? How many channels does it have. If you have 8 channels, like a Sound Devices 788T and an unending budget, then get a wireless lavalier setup for each person. If you have a micro budget and you're using a Tascam HDP2... then you only have 2 split tracks, so I say get two condensers and space them evenly.

Main thing is, don't stop at a number, if you have the money. Do what your budget allows. The further a mic is away from the subject, the more reflection you'll get than direct signal, which will lend itself to a cheap sound.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure to turn off fans, and A/C if possible, whenever the audio has speed.

currently I have a 4-track audio recorder and a single microphone.

Yikes... Can you get more mics, or is that all your budget will allow? If you can only use one mic, then I suggest you place it in the middle, and dampen the walls as much as you can. Definitely make sure the room is carpeted, as small as you can get it, and you put soft stuff everywhere you can.

Definitely turn off fans, A/C and the refrigerator, even if it's in a different room. Because you will need to compress your audio to be able to hear everyone effectively. Also, turn off any computers. Their fans will be ultra loud once you compress. Keep your pets quiet. etc...

Yikes... Can you get more mics, or is that all your budget will allow? If you can only use one mic, then I suggest you place it in the middle, and dampen the walls as much as you can. Definitely make sure the room is carpeted, as small as you can get it, and you put soft stuff everywhere you can.

Definitely turn off fans, A/C and the refrigerator, even if it's in a different room. Because you will need to compress your audio to be able to hear everyone effectively. Also, turn off any computers. Their fans will be ultra loud once you compress. Keep your pets quiet. etc...

I haven't gotten a budget out of my brother - but yeah I told him we would either need more mics or a sound guy with a boom pole. We'll probably do a test with the two cheap mics referenced so far.. wired lavs and rock band mic.. and then someone with my nice mic and compare what we're looking at.

We do have carpeting and all that although it wouldn't hurt to angle some blankets near the wall.

I haven't gotten a budget out of my brother - but yeah I told him we would either need more mics or a sound guy with a boom pole. We'll probably do a test with the two cheap mics referenced so far.. wired lavs and rock band mic.. and then someone with my nice mic and compare what we're looking at.

We do have carpeting and all that although it wouldn't hurt to angle some blankets near the wall.

Right, hanging some blankets wherever you can, offscreen helps. Plus, you can buy some black blankets/sheets and hang them from the walls. Even in frame, the black sheets will look cool.

You don't need a sound mixer/boom op, but you will need a boom pole and a c-stand with a gaffer clip to hold it, and a 35lb sandbag. This is the setup I use so I don't have to pay a boom operator $250 /day.

Do you have access to a c-stand, and a gaffer clip? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67885-REG/Avenger_C1525_043R_Gaffer_Grip_Clamp.html

Last edited:
I think it's because the dead cat acts as a pop filter.. I'm not sure though.

You only use a dead cat outside, to reduce the wind noise on the mic.

You don't use a pop filter on a mic on a boom pole because you never place the mic directly in front of the person's mouth like you do in a recording booth setup...

This, is not the same...
Sequence%2B02.Still001.png

as this...

11639706.jpg

Notice the mic is not in the direct path of the breath escaping the subject's mouth in the second picture? Thus, there will be no need for a pop filter.

Right, hanging some blankets wherever you can, offscreen helps. Plus, you can buy some black blankets/sheets and hang them from the walls. Even in frame, the black sheets will look cool.

You don't need a sound mixer/boom op, but you will need a boom pole and a c-stand with a gaffer clip to hold it, and a 35lb sandbag. This is the setup I use so I don't have to pay a boom operator $250 /day.

Do you have access to a c-stand, and a gaffer clip? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67885-REG/Avenger_C1525_043R_Gaffer_Grip_Clamp.html

I wouldn't need any of that for this project.
It's okay if the microphone were right there in the frame, it wouldn't matter.

All that c-stand stuff is just to hide it from view.
But then i would just have a single microphone and 8 people.

I was trying to do a step better :)

I wouldn't need any of that for this project.
It's okay if the microphone were right there in the frame, it wouldn't matter.

All that c-stand stuff is just to hide it from view.
But then i would just have a single microphone and 8 people.

I was trying to do a step better :)

I was giving an option for the scenario where you would hire a "boom operator."

I was giving an option for the scenario where you would hire a "boom operator."

Ah I see.

In my mind the point of the boom operator would be to move the microphone to each persons mouth when they're taking a turn to talk. This way the nice microphone would be close to anyones mouth at the right time.

In your scenario the microphone would be stationary.

Last edited:
Back