• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

attempt to Foley

I've spent last 3 hours doing Foley recording, and audio editing for the following 1 minute clip..

Man, what a difficult DIFFICULT task!

This is my first time recording Foley, so need some advice, suggestions.. does it sound good/not good?

Still gonna do ADR for the main character though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9bqy82nYg

PS I recorded myself answering a phone "Happy Home...", immitating a girl reception haha what an embarrassing voice, but i think goes well with bizarre scenario

Did you Foley the jacket? (It looks like leather so the audience expects to hear leather, even if it's not.)

What about the fingers rubbing and tapping the page in the phone book?

Personal preference - the thunk of the phone book on the car needs more "metal" and needs to be more "hollow". It sounds like it's hitting a tabletop, not a car hood.

The sounds are there, but it's tough to tell how well you did until they have context in the final mix.

Foley is a funny thing; some stuff needs to be three times as big as it really is so it sounds convincing in the final mix, but other times it needs to be just slightly overemphasized. It's a tough call, and knowing which is something that comes with experience.

What mic(s), recorder, etc. did you use?

Thank you for your time to review!

wow, so not just lighting that needs to be exaggerated, but i guess audio as well!

Fingers against the paper are in the mix, just gotta make em louder.
phone book was recorded on the hood of the car, and I did wear leather jacket to create the clothes rub..
but as you said, sounds need to be BIG!

i used h2n and ATR 6550.
Back to the editing room i go!

Last edited:
I think it's a really great practice to take a little project and dig deeply into every portion of production like this. I was really impressed with the page turns you got, well danced :)

One of the "secrets" to Foley and sound FX is that the real thing never sounds like the real thing when it's recorded and put into a mix. Part of it is the fact that when we do something our tactile senses provide lots of info that supplements out hearing, and vice versa. When doing sound FX and Foley you have to overcompensate for the lack of tactile input by exaggerating the sounds.

Always keep in mind that movie making is all about illusion. We are attempting to create a believable artificial reality.

Fingers against the paper are in the mix, just gotta make em louder.

I've done similar scenes. Don't use the phone book, the paper is too smooth/slick. Try construction paper, cardboard or something similar with a rough surface. I've even used fine grit sandpaper. The "tap-tap" by itself might sound like Rocky pounding on Apollo, but in the final mix sounds just right.

phone book was recorded on the hood of the car

Try putting the mic underneath, you need more of the hollowness of the "hood" sound rather than the "thunk". Maybe try it on the trunk and put the mic in the trunk. (Trunk for the thunk! :lol:)

I did wear leather jacket to create the clothes rub.

You hold a piece of really squeaky leather in your hand and manipulate it really close to the mic.

but as you said, sounds need to be BIG!

"If you need a pistol, use a rifle. If you need a rifle, use a shotgun. If you need a shotgun, use a bazooka. If you need a bazooka, use a mortar. If you need a mortar, use a tank. If you need a tank, use artillery. If you need artillery, use a nuclear explosion. If you need a nuclear explosion, ride down the highway at 100mph and stick the mic out the window." A sort of Sound Designers joke that holds a few grains of truth.

knightly, thank you! hopefully i'm improving with each project, and not dancing on one spot! :)

Alcove, for some reason i was under the wrongful impression that normal everyday things like clothes, paper and steps are recreated in the studio with similar tools and accessories like whats going on on the screen, but sounds like i guessed that one wrong :-)
Thank you for this helpful advice, i ll start rerecording after the short break!

Damn, love filmmaking, and creating the world from the scratch. Uh oh.. i think... i think i have God Syndrome buwahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80t_1Q2j_bY

Here is a different version. This time i played around with EQ on a phonebook pages, added more reverb, and used carton in the close up shot of the finger sliding on the page.

Also, replaced all leather/clothes shuffle with much more stiff leather, and heavy fabric.

Foley is PAIN IN THE BUTT!

OOPS... i think i forgot to turn on phone call tone for the export... my bad..

Last edited:
Creating creature sounds is a great example of sound design because you have to create imaginary sounds. In LOTR the sound of the Balrogs flaming roar (the bridge scene in the Moria Mines) is composed of a cinder block dragged across a concrete floor - loaded into a sampler and pitched down - and a WWI era flame thrower plus other elements.

The "thunk" is a lot better as are the finger taps. The cell phone needs more "snap" (personal preference). Bring up the volume on the other elements - we're auditioning the sounds right now, not fitting them into the puzzle of the final mix. The mix is a completely different topic.

Doing Foley can be a PITA, but is a lot easier if you are set up properly and have the right approach, which can be very personal. Besides having a really nice mic and pre-amp (I know, you can't afford that right now but they make a huge difference, they can really capture subtleties) you need to build a substantial props collection.

Part of great Foley work is understanding the characters. I don't have the ability switch in and out of characters like the professional Foley walkers do, so I do each character all they way through a project. I start with footsteps, then do a cloth pass and then do the props.

No matter what approach you take you need to be highly organized, just like you do with your production shot list and shooting schedule. For example, "John" walks on wood floors in scenes 2, 7, 9, 15 and 36, carpet in scenes 3, 12, 19 and 29, concrete in scenes 4, 21, 22, and 31, and on grass/dirt in scenes 5, 27, 33 and 34. You also have to note what footwear he's using. Then the list shows the types of cloth and the handled props.

I pick the appropriate footwear and set up the wood floors, then do the carpet, etc. This way I'm not constantly changing the surfaces (I don't have Foley pits). Then I'll clean up and collect all of the props for the cloth pass, clean up again and do the props/handling pass. This way I'm entirely into the personality of one character for the length of the project and the Foley is consistent with him/her, and I'm organized so I'm not wasting time.

Keep doing what you're doing; you're learning a lot and you'll get better as you go along. It's an art form just like any other. I know that I always start off slowly, but the pace picks up as I get into the process.

BTW, go to YouTube and search Sound Design for King Kong. There are seven or eight pretty good videos on the process. Ric Viers - who wrote the "Sound FX Bible" (which you should get) - has dozens of videos on YT as well. He interviews other biggies of the audio post world like Vanessa Ament (who wrote "The Foley Grail", another must have), David Sonnenschien (who wrote "Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema", another great book) and Charles Maynes (the current "God" of recording weapons for films and video games) in addition to his many "Chop Shop" and Rode Rage (yes, for the folks at Rode mics) sound recording vids.

Second version is much better. Still, slam something on the hood of a car, and you'll fell there's some echo from the sound reflecting around de engine and on the floor under the car.

Add some ambient sound. Birds chirping, cars going by in the distance, maybe voices from other houses.
Something that distracts the listener from the main sound events.

Back