Attaching crew before crowdfunding?

Hi, new poster here (and longtime lurker appreciating the wealth of info).

I'm contemplating crowdfunding for a low-budget feature, and as a first time director transitioning from screenwriting I want to bring an excellent DP and sound recordist on board. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, though, and I'm wondering how others have handled negotiating crew contracts when they're contingent on financing coming through. Do you write up a draft deal memo, or ask for a letter of interest similar to those an actor might provide?

Thanks so much,
Jenn

Will this the very first time you'll direct anything?
That fact alone might be a hurdle in both attaching crew AND convincing people to donate.
If you could show what magic your team can do, because you made something good (and short) before, it will be easier to crowdfund AND it will be easier to attach crew, because you've shown you are a doer and a dreamer instead of just a dreamer.

(I'm not saying you are not a doer. I'm talking about perception here.
My advice would be a bit off-topic: make a short. Even if it is just 1 minute...)

Having said that: I'm not from the USA and I do mostly corporate work without 'crew contracts'. (We just agree on fees and dates and that is it. :P )

BTW, welcome to IT :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and the welcome! I haven't directed before, so definitely plan to do a short first -- just thinking long-term and big-picture, pun non intended. :)

Last edited:
I don't think you need to get too official with paperwork this early on. I would recommend contacting the people you want to work with (like the DP), and letting them know you have a project and you're looking for funding. Ask if they are interested in the script first, then you can talk about money later.

For smaller crew roles I would definitely wait until after the campaign. A good sound recordist has a set rate in mind that he/she will accept. If they are willing to work on a film by a first time director they are probably only doing it for the paycheck.

You'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you narrow the net of crew positions in the early stages. So maybe you find your DP and one good producer, and maybe a lead actor first so you can use their names in the campaign (verbal contract is fine at this point), THEN launch your crowdfunding campaign. Nobody is going to donate to fund a movie because you got Mr. Joe Sound Recordist, but they might donate if you have a great actor or DP on board. When you know you have the funding in place, then it's time to fill the smaller crew positions, and draft up real contracts.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to get too official with paperwork this early on. I would recommend contacting the people you want to work with (like the DP), and letting them know you have a project and you're looking for funding. Ask if they are interested in the script first, then you can talk about money later.

For smaller crew roles I would definitely wait until after the campaign. A good sound recordist has a set rate in mind that he/she will accept. If they are willing to work on a film by a first time director they are probably only doing it for the paycheck.

You'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you narrow the net of crew positions in the early stages. So maybe you find your DP and one good producer, and maybe a lead actor first so you can use their names in the campaign (verbal contract is fine at this point), THEN launch your crowdfunding campaign. Nobody is going to donate to fund a movie because you got Mr. Joe Sound Recordist, but they might donate if you have a great actor or DP on board. When you know you have the funding in place, then it's time to fill the smaller crew positions, and draft up real contracts.

Agree with this completely.

Cast and crew will often change after the crowdfunding process, but having them there helps cement the idea that the production is ready to go. I wouldn't make deferred payment contracts for them, but rather just approach them about the project and see whether they're keen to be part of it. Let them know that payment is reliant upon the campaign succeeding, then, if the campaign succeeds, they get paid, and, if the campaign fails, they don't have to work. Keep it informal and flexible.

I want to bring an excellent DP and sound recordist on board

While it's true that poor production sound will (usually) kill an indie film, it's by no means the only film craft which can. Poor (or even mediocre): Acting, picture editing, music, audio post and some other filmmaking crafts can be just as deadly! That you appear to be focusing on cinematography and production sound indicates a need to practise making a few shorts first, to fully appreciate how all the filmmaking crafts need to work together and that one weak link can "break the chain", regardless of how strong some of the other links are.

BTW, for most moderately experienced film crafts people "deferred payment" is synonymous with no payment.

G

Back