tv Are there any biographies of prominent writers in film and TV?

Seasons greetings, everyone.

I have spoken to some people in the industry, as to the approach that fits me. I am thinking of being a writer producer or writer something else, or perhaps just plain writer. I like writing, which is a powerful, emotional experience for me, so perhaps I should take this approach.

I am therefore looking for biographies of writer-producers and writer-directors that I can read, to get some guidance. I am also looking for biographies of writers who were neither producers nor directors, but who wrote primarily for film and TV.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Try "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by William Goldman. Not really an autobiography, it's about his experiences as a writer in Hollywood. His credits include Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Princess Bride, & All the President's Men.

You'll understand a bit what it's like to be a working writer & also why very few scripts actually get made. A film has so many moving parts, & is subject to the marketplace & current events. A change in one thing can cause rewrites, delays, even the whole project being shelved, through no fault of anyone involved.

I also suggest looking at the writers of the films/shows you like. If they don't have biographies, you can learn a lot from their interviews & behind the scenes docu's on YouTube & DVDs. Also, someone at a decent library can probably help you.

I've read Goldman's book, which is a must-read for aspiring filmmakers. I also like the idea of watching the interviews of writers - as I write this, I wonder if Alfred Hitchcock or Woody Allen are writer-directors.

Thanks for your help. :)

You're welcome.
Hitchcock wasn't technically a writer but he worked closely with each writer to develop the scripts for his films. Try "The Making of Psycho." I liked the book much more than the movie. Aside from the filmmaking process, it goes into the real life murders that inspired the film. Silence of the Lambs used some of those details too.

I think Allen writes & directs most or all his films. Try his BAFTA interview on YouTube. The interesting thing I liked there was him talking about how he still uses a typewriter, & how he does revisions by literally cutting & pasting strips of paper onto the script. I think that's kinda cool.

Tarantino's another writer director.
I watch commentaries, special features, & interviews of my favorite directors or a movie I like. I always learn something. If I like one movie, I try another from the same director.
Have fun :)

Not a biography, but Auto

Try "Monster" or "Regards" by John Gregory Dunne. He might have more. Wrote some big movies with his wife, Joan Didion.

Back