Appropriate focal length?

I plan on shooting a couple documentaries and also short films. I already have a 12mm and a 50mm, but I still need my primary medium shot (not wide or close up). Is there a specific focal length that I should consider with my gh2 having a 1.9x sensor crop (i think) ? And should I stick with the same lens brand throughout my prime lenses? Meaning- Is it weird to have one shot with a canon fD and then the other with a slr magic? ( I use primes)

But I'm guessing between 20-35mm will be the best fit for my gh2 sensor crop. But which lenses do you recommend for professional, sharp shooting. I was thinking an L lens to invest in or maybe a Carl Zeiss?- didnt know if either would be fitting for documentaries/short films. ( I will test before I buy)

Last edited:
The 12mm on a GH2 is the equivalent of a 24mm so I guess that's a medium shot.

If you need less angle than that, well try something around 24mm. 35mm can also work well (Samyang makes excellent lenses at those ranges that open at 1.4, but they are manual focus, which works best for filmmaking, and you'll need to get an adapter).

And no, switching brands is not a problem.

Noted about the brands...

The 12mm definitely doesn't feel as a medium shot. It feels real wide so I'm thinking a 24/25mm.

If you were to suggest a lens to be used on a professional film set, a single camera comedy show like 30 rock or The Office, which one would it be? Keep in mind the gh2 but adapters can be purchased. I have a limited budget as a test around $1000 with a little room.

12mm (24mm equivalent on a full-frame camera) definitely falls into the wide-angle category. An actual 24mm lens should be around the "normal" focal length for 1.9x sensors and will make a good compliment to your existing 12mm and 50mm lenses.

I used the Nokton 17.5 on my GH2 (works out to about 35mm) I chose this because I like the medium focal length as apposed to the more commonly used 50mm (a 25mm on a gh2 which nokton supply). I find the 50mm too blown up and tight, 35mm feels more sharp and sophisticated and opens the frame up more IMO. However when getting in close with 35mm there is some noticable distortion which can work for that deranged feel but 50mm is better on close ups if you don't want deranged.

I also used a Canon prime 50mm on the GH2 (100mm) for close ups and they work great together. As long as the quality of the lens matches up e.g I tried to use an Olympus OM vintage lens and the quality is much lower when compared so scrapped the footage.

I personally think the Nokton's are the best buy for GH2. They are just top class lenses. Really pushes the GH2 hacked to it's full potential and is great in low-light too at f-0.95

Last edited:
If you were to suggest a lens to be used on a professional film set, a single camera comedy show like 30 rock or The Office, which one would it be? Keep in mind the gh2 but adapters can be purchased. I have a limited budget as a test around $1000 with a little room.

Well, for pro brands it's usually Zeiss. Canon L series are pretty profesional too.

But the way I see it, unless you're getting very well paid for what you're gonna be doing, go with the Samyang which are crazy good (google some reviews), unless you're completely against the manual thing then go Canon L series.

I worked on a high budget feature where the Director shot virtually everything on just two lenses. A-Camera took the 27mm, B-Camera wore the 40mm. He's the most visually striking Directors I've ever had the pleasure to work for.

This experience convinced me that I can shoot my own feature if I focus on making efficient choices, and avoid getting wrapped up in all the tech. Except sound ... gotta have great sound.

Thomas

Last edited:
Ok it seems that around 24mm will be the best focal length-

Would the Samyang 35mm 1.4 compare to a canon L series lens (quality wise)? Its a lot cheaper so I would definitely consider one (I don't need autofocus). Is there a 25mm that rokinon/samyang make?

And the 17.5 is interesting, I have been looking at that lens as well as the 25mm but If I go that route I may just wait for the slr magic 25mm. I gotta test them out.

Thanks Escher, but I think its a LITTLE out of my range. I would defintely want to go Zeiss too. Anything in the 24mm range? I am trying to stay in this budget of $1,000 as a test with my company.

Also I think a 35mm on the gh2 sensor crop will be almost a close up lens, so i think 20-25mm is the way to go. Does a Samyang 24mm 1.4 compare to a Canon L lens like the 24mm EF?

The non-clicky aperture adjustment could be very interesting. I'm now seriously considering the Rokinon 24mm cine to supplement my Canon 24mm TS II since the TS doesn't open up as wide as the Rokinon.

Has anyone here used the Roninon 24mm? Any reviews as to image quality? So far, what I've read looks promising.

gregbankley,

I just re-read my previous post. I hope my anecdote doesn't read like a blow-off or a cynical comment on your buying gear. If so, apologies. It certainly wasn't intended as such.

Thomas

Back