Anyone using Cinelerra??

As per title, does anyone use cinelerra to edit his videos?

I am going to use cinelerra as editor for my documentary and it would be nice if someone here used it, we could share tips and so on.

For those who do not know cinelerra is the closest thing to professional software you can get for free (lightworks basic edition is free as well but crippled in fact of export formats so not very useful for professionals) on a linux box. It was developed in the late 90s by an indie software house.

It has a "particular" interface but after playing with it around it is not hard to understand how it works. Cinelerra cv (community version, the "most realiable version") was known for crashing and having troubles with formats, however a new project cinelerra.org started months ago, and they just released Cinelerra 5.0 with a support for a wide range of formats and less crashes.

Cinelerra works only on linux, but it imo it is a good alternative to professional (and expensive) software, if someone runs a linux box it is worth trying it!

Resolve Lite works is free and is great for editing, but you need Windows or Mac to run it. I tried Cinelerra back in the day, but the interface turned me off. All the little icons drawn by a six year old? No thanks. Hitfilm Express 3 is also free, again, Windows and Mac, and can both edit and do effects. Both Resolve and Hitfilm are probably closer to a free pro app than Cinelerra

Back