• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Any good freeware editing software for the Mac?

You are on the wrong platform for freeware, IMO..... Steve Jobs demands $$$$ every time you fire that high priced baby up. That's whay im a Linux person

Kdenlive & Avidemux will work on OSX. Very basic yet stable NLEs. I have heard good things about Kdenlive.

VLMC made by the fine folks at VLC player is in the works.. not available yet, looks promising.

Last edited:
Steve Jobs demands $$$$ every time you fire that high priced baby up.

Yeah but have you noticed the opening fire-up chord is the same as the one from 'Live and Let Die' ? I get that song in my head every time I boot up.

You might have a point, but then there's this:

http://www.freemacware.com/

Kdenlive & Avidemux will work on OSX. Very basic yet stable NLEs. I have heard good things about Kdenlive.

Thanks. I was looking for recommendations afore I started trawling.

I used iMovie for quite some time, and it's alot better now than it was then... although not free, if you have a mac you've purchased within the last 5-6 years, it came free with it.

I used iMovie for quite some time, and it's alot better now than it was then... although not free, if you have a mac you've purchased within the last 5-6 years, it came free with it.

iMovie (now iMovie HD) has always been my personal choice for editing my films. Easy to use interface, simple import/export, and I never even had to read one word on how to use it before I started. Unfortunately yeah it only comes free when you buy a Mac, but for beginners it's a great program.

most of the posix-compliant software packages you use on your linux box works just fine on my mac ;)

Yup a bit is ported over, still kinda like running wine on Linux, not the best performance sometimes. Easier to do I guess since OSX is unix based. Still if ya got the $$ and want the best of the best in video production.. OSX is king

Back