• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch And this is why you buy a RED EPIC!

Really??

It works perfectly on my Imac I7, 3.4Ghz, 16gb RAM, 2GB Video RAM, 2560 x 1440 display .

Yep... tried shutting down BOINC too, and nothing. Blue screens my system every time I try 4k. The extra 8Gigs of RAM on your system probably makes all the difference. The video probably needs more than 6GB+, thus my OS has no room to operate, so it crashes.

Yep... tried shutting down BOINC too, and nothing. Blue screens my system every time I try 4k. The extra 8Gigs of RAM on your system probably makes all the difference. The video probably needs more than 6GB+, thus my OS has no room to operate, so it crashes.

I read it fine on 4k with my 4 Gb. My Internet connection however slows me down.

Something is wrong with your computer if you BSOD no matter what is it you're trying to run.

I read it fine on 4k with my 4 Gb. My Internet connection however slows me down.

Something is wrong with your computer if you BSOD no matter what is it you're trying to run.

Nearly all blue screens are caused hardware and/or driver limitations, but I do have to say that it isn't my RAM after all, it's my graphics card.

I've only had my computer blue screen 3 times, all of them trying to watch this video.

I think the best RED stuff I've seen would have to be Winter's Bone and also Social Network/Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

It's not my favourite looking camera, but you can get some nice stuff out of it.

Give me 35mm any day ;)

that looks absolutely amazing!!! three exclamations means im serious, never heard my mac book make so much noise though haha. Im trying to save up for a black magic cinema camera, and if for £2500 it looks half as good as this ill be over the moon!

Chrome doesn't have an option for Original, though perhaps that is because I am in the HTML5 beta testing thingy...

Amazing footage! Just makes me want to skydive even more!

I think the best RED stuff I've seen would have to be Winter's Bone and also Social Network/Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

It's not my favourite looking camera, but you can get some nice stuff out of it.

Give me 35mm any day ;)

If I were a professional filmmaker, I'd wanna work with YOU, Jax! =)

So then, what are your favorite looking 35mm films? What were (is it time to look back at them?) the films that reached the pinnacle of 35mm glory? Maybe that should be its own thread. Don't mean to digress.

Pretty nice. I don't have anything like a 4K monitor, so I suppose it's pointless to play it in its original quality. Played nicely for me, though, except that the playback did catch up to the download, so I had to stop it once and let the download get well ahead.

So then, what are your favorite looking 35mm films? What were (is it time to look back at them?) the films that reached the pinnacle of 35mm glory? Maybe that should be its own thread. Don't mean to digress.

There are many films that are still being shot on film, 35mm or otherwise. Digital has certainly caught up in the last few years, and film has almost become the exception to the norm, the way digital was not even 10 years ago.

I saw Argo recently and that looks great. Shot mostly on 35, with a bit of Alexa thrown in. It looks really good, and it's a good movie to boot. Les Miserables was also shot on 35 and looks like it's going to impressive, cinematographically as well as everything else.

I think the advent of digital had really diminished the role of the DP. I think so many films looked beautiful in the past, and we almost took them for granted. There are so many great looking movies, and even the ones that weren't immediately impressive in a 'wow check out this cinematography' way, were still really impressive and shot by those who were great DPs. Really, one had to be a great DP in the truest sense of the word to be able to shoot a budgeted film, because film is not just simply 'push the red button' and you're good to go. You needed to know how to light without being able to look at a monitor that replicates exactly what you're going to get as an end product. If you look at the best DPs in the world, in general, they tend to be people who shot purely on film and transfer that skillset over to digital and create beautiful imagery. You can get the greatest technicians in the world who know the camera system inside out, but they don't have that eye or that artistry that a master DP has.

With the advent of digital, any wedding or event videographer, or even just mildly rich person who thinks they might like to be a filmmaker can buy a RED or other similar camera, and essentially stick it on auto, because they're shooting raw or log. They get decent images mostly because of the camera system itself, but don't really understand lighting, and don't understand what it is to be a DP. And yet, they call themselves DPs. In the film days, those who owned their own cameras were called owner-operators, because DPs generally don't lock themselves into a camera purchase, so they can choose a camera that suits the story, rather than be locked into having to pay off their camera. I'm not sure when it was decided that 'Camera Operator' is 'close enough' to DP that we should just call them DPs as well.. Not to mention the lack of respect on sets now where there previously was. In the past, the DP was potentially the most respected on set, usually because he was the most experienced person there. These days, even the most experienced DPs can find themselves getting lip from Hair and Make-Up, which simply wouldn't have happened 10 years ago.

But I digress..... ;)

Similar to my points above, this RED stuff looks great. But, that's not because of the camera, it's because of the artist behind it. Give a RED to a beginner and see if he can shoot anything like that...

Last edited:
@jax_rox
+1

"...These days, even the most experienced DPs can find themselves getting lip from Hair and Make-Up, which simply wouldn't have happened 10 years ago."

I find it amazing DPs get treated like that, even if they're inexperienced. As AD on about a dozen film sets, the DP is one person I try to "protect," push hard only when I have to. Some have literally saved the film and director's butt. Guess I was taught different...

Have you guys ever watched, or do you like the Film Fellas shows? I love the Film Fellas shows. Have you watched Cast 8? Cast 8 touches upon a lot of what you're talking about above. I recommend watching them all, if you're interested. I think there are 4 of them with Cast 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-y0BLH2yNA&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuswzRqqfhs&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG6DS4poAbI&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8e4gEWpukE&feature=relmfu

Back