• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch An action film on a 0$ budget

Hello all,

I just finished editing this film a couple of weeks ago. Its an action film I made in South Korea while learning to use my new D90 for the first time. You'll see that some parts look good, others are not so great. It was a big commitment for 5 months but I feel it was worth it. I know the story is lame but me and my good friends just wanted to make a movie. It was a great experience, I hope you enjoy. Feedback is greatly appreciated!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOSdIkjlIRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOSdIkjlIRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I respect the effort, especially after dedicating 5 months an all but there are quite a few issues I noted with your short. So to be fair, was this more along the lines of just shooting something and posting it on YouTube or were you going for a serious short movie? If it was the former, then perhaps I watched it too closely. However if it was the latter then there are some glaring issues with your short.

I don't want to badger you with a bucket list so I'll keep my findings at a high level, bullet-point type summary. Some of your shots had a weird artifacting (some noticeable pixilation during movement), there were lighting issues, exposure issues, sound issues and did you dub the dialogue? Whats more, was the dialogue actually spoken by the characters or did you get it from somewhere else? Their voices pitched and sounded weird from line to line. Also I'm not sure if that's how you cut it or if it was a YouTube issue but your movie just abruptly ends.

Hats off to you for trying to make a movie, we all have to start somewhere. Heck I haven't even shot my first short yet. The list above was meant to point out the issues that I saw with your short and help you study them or at least become aware of them in your future efforts. It was by no means an attempt to beat you up about your movie.

I hope this was helpful.

Thank you very much for your feedback. It will definitely help me in the future. Too answer your question, this movie at first was planned for youtube only. But me and my friends got carried away and started turning it into a short film. So you could say that it was meant to be for youtube originally. We were excited at what we made so we wanted to possibly put it in some kind of film festival. The dubbing was done to the sound issues(most of them are the original actor's voices) and for comedic effect. The D90 is a good camera, but not really for movies. The audio is pretty bad so I definitely want to get a different camera or work out filming issues before making anything else.

Thanks again!

The D90 is a good camera, but not really for movies. The audio is pretty bad so I definitely want to get a different camera or work out filming issues before making anything else.

Thanks again!

If you're getting rid of your D90, I will take it :) But you should probably reconsider that. The D90 is not made for video, true, but there a lots of ways in which it is superior to similarly priced camcorders.

Good effort, but there's too many errors in basic technique. The lighting isn't great, and the sound is bad. You have really bad foley and ADR in there. It's a bit hard to watch.

I think you've got the right idea, and for a no budget piece, it's a nice effort, but it needs a lot of cleaning up.

Good practice though. I apologize if this is more critical then you hoped for.

No, the more feedback the better:) This film was a learning experience. If you look carefully at the film, you'll see that some parts are better than others. This is because I shot it out of order and I had gotten a little bit better near the end. As for the D90, I agree that the film quality is ok, but here are several things I've had problems with;

Only goes up 720p

Only films 5 mins at a time

Rolling shutter causes "jelly effect" when panning

Extremely poor audio (and no ext mike connection)

Makes every film you do look like its from the early 90s

But I also agree that my basic technique was lacking, so the problems I listed just amplified it. I'm planning on getting an HD camera today (got approval from the wife-woot, woot!) and just using the nikon for pics.

Back