Alien Zombie Monster Slime

Really cool walkthrough. Thanks for the shoutout! I'm looking at this, and thinking about the fluid sims, and wondering if there might be an opportunity down the line somewhere in your movie to do a scene or scenes that hybrid practical and digital effects. You can sometimes get an amazing result by blending Digital and practical with feather masking. Like a CG character gets slimed like in ghostbusters, and the slimed character oozes digital slime onto objects, which is just real slime blended with masks, I'm sure that exact thing wouldn't fit your plot, but I'm just riffing on ideas for blurring the line between the two approaches.

Two "simple curiosity" questions:
(1) why the mix of metric and imperial units? (I always find it strange to hear the trans-Atlanteans use ounces as a unit of volume, when our imperialist neighbours on this continent use it primarily for mass, preferring pints - or fractions thereof - for liquids)
(2) why the triple beam scale? For gigantic quantites like 7g, that's seems at bit OTT when a bog standard supermarket digital scale is usually accurate to 1g, and often to 0.5g. The last time I used a triple beam scale, we were measuring milligrammes!

Sorry about the mixed units. I don't have any graduated cylinders in liters. I use an ordinary measuring cup for liquids. Mine is is ounces. If the formula required exact liquid measurements, I usually weigh it.
The triple beam measures accurately from 1 milligram and up to 1000 grams. I've been using the same scale for the past 40 years. You can use whatever kind of scale you want as long as it's accurate.

The formula as shown in the video and documentation requires 3.79 liters of water. Siphon off 236.59ml, split that amount into 2 cups. :)

Yeah, I haven't given up on practical effects or actual props. My plan goes right along with what you were describing. The project I told you about will use cgi characters on live plates. Even if I do have to create some digital environments, I'll still want to put real things in the shot.

I probably phrased it wrong. I understand about the plan for composite onto live plates, I was thinking more like for example cgi slime coming off of a character and being blended into real slime in the live action shot with masking and feathering, just hybriding to make if harder to tell where the sfx end and the reality begins. People do this for example with fog all the time, use the real life fog machine in the shot, then art direct with alpha channel animated fog, so you can get both the authentic look of the real fog, and the post flexibility of the artificial fog.

It was a popular and effective technique back in the old days, when CGI was prohibitively expensive and every frame or even partial frame was costing the studios a fortune. It looks great when you mix them, as long as the audience can't tell how or where you mixed them. Little bit of real fire in focus, and a lot of cg fire in the bokeh, that kind of thing.

Last edited:
I like that idea!.. and I hate to admit it, but when I write, I usually do think of cool things that I want to do, fx wise, then write them in. For instance, I'm trying to write in a hairy creature because I'm learning to do hair and I'm digging it!

Back