• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

After Effects file size limit?

I'm working with After Effects, and when I import a video clip that is about (or greater than) 8 minutes, the full length of the video does not appear properly. It appears in my project asset list as a video file with a run time that is a fraction of what it is supposed to be. For example, one AVI clip has a run time of 7:58 in Media Player, but when I import it into After Effects, it shows up as a 0:45 file. If I split the file to a smaller size, it imports fine.

I did verify that my composition was set to an adequate length.

Has anyone else encountered this and know of a workaround?

(NOTE - I'm basing the observation on run time but it could very well be a data size limit).

what happens if you drop the :45 clip onto the new comp icon?

Maybe is just a reporting error..

Also,
even with windows, I still use quicktime MOV files for interchange stuff. With the exception of my cineform AVI files that is. If Im RENDERING out to import into some ohter program I use QT animation codex.

how are your drives formatted? All NTFS or later?

Yes. one drive. NTFS. 15GB free (75 GB total). Pentium 4 - 2 CPUs ~2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. Windows 7.

Again. not my machine so there's not much I can do about the PC specs.

The file sizes are as follows:

(AVIs using TechSmith codec)
File 1 - AVI, 7:55, 23.5 MB, 1280x1024 - not imported properly
File 2 - AVI, 6:07, 18 MB, 1280x1024 - imports fine

I was asking specifically due to the older file systems having 2Gb limits... not sure about this then... it should work, perhaps try a different file format to see if the codec is broken?

Wheatgrinder - thanks! That link is pertty close to my issue. I DID end up breaking up the file, but it sure would be prefereable if I didn't have to. I will try the posted recommendations tomorrow. Thanks again!

J

cool. .I goolged for "TechSmith codec after effects" there are some Adobe library hits too.. I guess you can tell the screen capture software to store other codecs if your making the footage, but my guess is someone else supplied you with the screen capture demos and your supposed to do your thang..

Back