• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

After dark, My sweet.

Not as knowledgable on lighting yet, but it looks to me like you should shoot completely flat in camera, and then not add color correction at all. It looks all flat, in camera, and no coloring in post. It was shot on film, but to achieve this look digitally, doing that will get you close. Also it may get you close to the look if in post, you adjust the hue, and make add a slight bit of green to it, but I haven't done that to footage that was shot flat yet, as oppose to the saturation half way up. Adding a little green hue does take away the pinks in the skin, but not sure how much pink their would be, if shooting flat. Ask your DP what he thinks of this.

Last edited:
Not as knowledgable on lighting yet, but it looks to me like you should shoot completely flat in camera, and then not add color correction at all. It looks all flat, in camera, and no coloring in post. It was shot on film, but to achieve this look digitally, doing that will get you close. Also it may get you close to the look if in post, you adjust the hue, and make add a slight bit of green to it, but I haven't done that to footage that was shot flat yet, as oppose to the saturation half way up. Adding a little green hue does take away the pinks in the skin, but not sure how much pink their would be, if shooting flat. Ask your DP what he thinks of this.

There is a difference between correction and grading. Correction is matching shots up, fixing flaws, and getting a more clean and watchable image which could not be achieved on set. Grading is stylizing the image to further push the idea of the time, place, and mood in the film. Minimal grading is understandable, but no correction at all may result in a poor looking image if the DP did not nail exactly what the director was going for on set - which is rare on an indie production. Also, just because the image looks like there is no grading and correction does not mean there was no grading or correction. That just means they hired a colorists who has mastered the art of subtly, which is exactly the kind of person the OP should hire for post work - a skilled colorist.

I think the desired look is going to be achieved with three main components. The first being lighting the scene well. Each one of those shots look very well lit, which is exactly what you should be going for. The second is dressing the set well. Each one of those shots seems to have very vibrant locations with vibrant props and objects - including wardrobe. And most important, an experienced colorist. If you show them clips from films as examples of the color scheme you are going for, they should be able to get close results to what you want.

Best of luck!

Back