• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Affordable good sound for indie film?

I tried to find Alcove's blogs, per his suggestions, but I just having problems navigating here. Newbie. So, if there is a link that can help I appreciate it.

Okay, I am a visual artist going into filmmaking. I want to film some raw, films that center around people in the urban experience. No special effects, elaborate sets, etc. My style is more like that used in "The Wrestler", "Rachel Getting Married", "Medicine for Melancholy". Not shooting in high def, not always perfectly focused...raw...primarily aiming for internet release and maybe a showing or two at some of the local independent coffeehouses.

Okay, shooting with
Sony CX12 (does not have a mic input but I have that wireless bluetooth mic)
Sony TRV510 (mic jacks)
Sony TRV50 (mic jacks)

So., what are some affordable sound options for me? I was looking at the Rode VideoMic or the Rode SVM Stereo Condenser Microphone. Looking at editing in the PC using Audacity. Just not sure.

Affordable for me is below $300. I am entering some contests hoping to get grants where I can afford more but I won't know until August.

Thanks and I appreciate the knowledge in this forum.

Are you primarily going to be shooting indoors or outdoors? That will determine which mic to purchase.

For outdoors you want a shotgun mic. The current popular low budget shotgun mic is the Rode NTG-2. It's battery powered to supply its own phantom power.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481528-REG/Rode_NTG_2_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Th kit comes with a shock mount and mini-pin adapter.

For indoors a cardioid condenser is the better choice. The current popular low budget cardioid mic is the Oktava mk-012.

http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm

The Oktava DOES NOT work on batteries, so you would need a separate phantom power supply or a mixer that supplies phantom power such as the juicedLink CX-231. You will also need to purchase or DIY a shock mount.

You will still need a boom-pole. You can DIY a boom-pole for about $50 using something like a painters pole. It will be short and heavy compared to the real thing, but better than nothing.

Back