• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice sought: Least expensive PC for video editing programs

Hello,

Advice sought: Least expensive PC for video editing programs

I am seeking help finding the least expensive PC laptop capable of running Pinnacle Studio video editing programs. I’m on the low income side (especially after becoming unemployed) so I am working with modest equipment.

Because I am couch surfing, I need to stick with a laptop, not a PC.

I’ve tried several other editing programs such as Vegas, Adobe, etc., and I’ve tried iMovie on the Mac. Pinnacle works best for me. My current laptop, a Dell I bought in 2009, cannot handle my HD video editing. I am using a Kodak Zi8 camera.

The system requirements are at: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

There are three main versions and all 3 appear to have different requirements:
Studio HD
Studio Ultimate
Studio Ultimate Collection

The graphics card requirement is the same for all of three.

I’m a lean quick on my own how to use document, photo, and video editing programs for creative purposes. I am however clueless about the tech stuff.

I am getting unemployment checks and money is tight. However, I believe in myself enough to take a gamble and spend up to $1,000 on a laptop.

I need help though because I'm not good at the tech stuff and don't want to get ripped off at the stores. So far, Best Buy, Fry’s and my computer savvy friends have all recommended different machines. I’m hoping that at some point I’ll hear the same recommendation a few times.

At least at Best Buy and Wal-Mart there are no re-stocking fees.

Thanks! I appreciate your time and help,

-Jeff

System Requirements for Studio Ultimate Collection

* Windows ® 7, Windows Vista ® (SP2),Windows XP (SP3)
* Intel ® Pentium ® or AMD Athlon ™ 1.8 GHz (2.4 GHz or higher recommended)
- Intel Core ™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz required for AVCHD*
- Intel Core ™ 2 Quad 2.66 GHz or Intel Core ™ i7 required
for AVCHD* 1920
* 1 GB system memory recommended, 2 GB required for AVCHD*
* DirectX ® 9 or 10 compatible graphics card with 64 MB (128 MB or higher recommended) - 128 MB required for Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks Plug-in: Pixelshader 2 required, Intel GMA integrated graphics not supported. - 256 MB required for HD and AVCHD*
* DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card
* 3,6 GB of disk space
* DVD-ROM drive to install software
* Accessory:
o CD burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs (S-VCDs)
o DVD burner for creating DVD and AVCHD* discs
o Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray discs*
o Sound card with surround sound output required for preview of surround sound mixes*

Input Options

* Capture from DV, HDV and Digital8 camcorders or VCRs (requires a FireWire ® ; port)Capture from analog camcorders, 8 mm, HI 8, VHS, SVHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, or VCRs (NTSC/PAL/SECAM). (requires Pinnacle or Dazzle video hardware)
* Import from AVCHD* and other file based Camcorders, Digital Still Cameras, Mobile Devices and Webcams via USB

Output Options

* Output to DV, HDV or Digital8 tape (requires camcorder with FireWire Input port and a PC with a DV/FireWire port)
* Output to analog videotape (requires DirectShow compatible device with video output)

Import Formats

* Video: AVCHD*, BD Blu-ray*, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX ® *, MPEG-4*, 3GP(MPEG-4)*, WMV, Non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), QuickTime ® ; (DV, MPEG-4*, H.264*)
* Audio: MP3, MPA, WAV, AC3*, WMA
* Graphic: BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K

Export Formats

* AVCHD*, BD Blu-ray*, HD-DVD, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW, dual layer), S-VCD, Video CD (VCD)
* Apple ® iPod ® , Sony ® ; PSP/PS3, Nintendo ® Wii, Microsoft ® Xbox compatible formats*
* DV, HDV, AVI, DivX*, RealVideo ® 8, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4*, Flash, 3GP*, WAV, MP3*, QuickTime ® (SD format) files
* Dolby ® Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel audio*

Well, I'm not gonna do your shopping for you, especially since I'm not a laptop guy, so there might be concerns that I'm not aware of. Nevertheless, I've got some advice.

If you've got $1,000 to spend, I'd change your mindset from least-expensive to best-that-I-can-afford. You don't want a shitty computer for editing -- you'll be kicking yourself later. Spend as much as you can on this. Don't short-change yourself, get the best you can afford. You'll be glad you did.

I know you've already tried other editing software, but I'd like to strongly recommend that you at least consider Sony Vegas. I guess it depends on how serious you are about this, and how much editing you want to do.

The learning curve is much more steep for Vegas, FCP, Premiere, etc. There's much more stuff for you to have to figure out before you can even function. It can be frustrating, in the beginning. But patience will pay dividends.

I've used Pinnacle. It made me angry. Sure, it's easier to use. But that's because there's so much less that you can do. God it frustrated the crap out of me. There were so many times that I wanted to do something, but I couldn't, and had to figure out a work-around. And I'm not talking about complicated advanced editing. I'm talking about basic editing, which is pretty much all I do. It's dumbed down for mom and pop so much to the point that it can't even do what I consider basic editing.

If you're just gonna be making home videos, sure, go ahead and get Pinnacle. But if you're coming on to a forum, asking for advice on which computer to purchase, I'm assuming this is something you'd like to get kind of serious about, something more than just home vids. If that's the case, you will outgrow Pinnacle, quickly. Vegas has an introductory-priced version, but it is not limited in the way Pinnacle is. I think you'll be glad, in the long run, if you switch to something more in line with what the serious editors use.

What kind of camera are you to be using? You'll only need firewire if you're shooting on tape, and thereby capturing the video from the camera. That's kind of old school (though people do still do it). For newer cameras, you would only need a USB2 port for connecting the memory card reader.

Do you know what camera you'll be using? You might not need firewire. You'll only need that if you'll be shooting on tape. If you shoot onto a memory card, you'll only need USB2 to connect the memory card reader.

Also, the minimum requirements are minimum. You'll be happy if you exceed them. For example, I wouldn't consider anything less than 4GB memory. And one other thing -- I believe most laptops have hard drives that are 5400 RPM. If you can find one that's 7200 RPM, that's a major score.

Hmm...the Hi8 is a $100.00 camera with a difficult to edit codec. It would be wiser to keep your old Dell and buy a used HDV camera like an HV20 that you can edit on a computer from 2003.

The HV20 would be superior to the Hi8 in image quality also and you should be able to find one from $200-$300 at most.

Seriously, a $1000.00 computer to edit footage from a $100.00 camera makes almost no sense - nothing personal. Pinnacle has older versions that don't have nearly the CPU requirements if you are sold on that brand.

Good luck! I had to tell you.

$1000 to spend on a good laptop? Check out alienware. They have very powerful laptops for a good price. Their smallest laptop, I'm looking at the price right now and it's about $600. I have many friends who have alienware laptops and desktops and none of them have anything to complain about and it has always met their demands. My friend zack is the guy who does all the special effects with After Effects and he has an alienware laptop (but that also had to be converted to a 64-bit processing system and what not).

Back