Advice for a first Camera

Hey guys, I do a lot of action type sports so thus far I've just been using GoPros and I get decent results with Protune. For things where I won't need GoPros I'm looking to get a camera that has a bit more capability.

Specifically I'm trying to capture guitar string oscillations so I need video with approximately 1\1000 shutter speed. What's an inexpensive entry level camera I can use for this? 4K resolution with be nice as well as the option for higher (60fps) frame rate too. I don't need anything fancy at all.

I've been looking at used DSLRs online but the owners never know anything about them and I don't want to meet up just to play with their camera.

Thanks!

Inexpensive, 4K, and 60p are not easy to find in one camera. Most of the consumer/prosumer camcorders out there in the <$1000 and $1000-2000 ranges that shoot 4K only shoot 24p/30p at 4K. To shoot 60p, the camera has to be switched to 1080p mode.

DSLRs are still behind in the world of 4K. There are some cheap options out there like the Panasonic ZS100, but the lens is permanently attached and it still doesn’t shoot 60p in 4K. Once you cross the $2000 threshold, you can get DSLRs that shoot 4K but still not in 60p (Panasonic GH5, Canon EOS 5DmkIV). How much do you really need 4K for what you do? If it isn’t a necessity, then look at something like the Canon EOS Rebel T7i, or even better, the EOS 80D. You’ll get 1080p60 and full control over aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Inexpensive, 4K, and 60p are not easy to find in one camera. Most of the consumer/prosumer camcorders out there in the <$1000 and $1000-2000 ranges that shoot 4K only shoot 24p/30p at 4K. To shoot 60p, the camera has to be switched to 1080p mode.

DSLRs are still behind in the world of 4K. There are some cheap options out there like the Panasonic ZS100, but the lens is permanently attached and it still doesn’t shoot 60p in 4K. Once you cross the $2000 threshold, you can get DSLRs that shoot 4K but still not in 60p (Panasonic GH5, Canon EOS 5DmkIV). How much do you really need 4K for what you do? If it isn’t a necessity, then look at something like the Canon EOS Rebel T7i, or even better, the EOS 80D. You’ll get 1080p60 and full control over aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Thanks for the input. Those cameras run $1200-$1300 which is a little steep for me. I don't need the 4k but it would be nice to have so I can sacrifice resolution when editing after. I would just have to be more careful with 1080p. Is there anything around half the price that can do 1080 @ 30fps with full manual control of settings for video recording?

Also, is a 1/1000 shutter common or hard to find in video mode?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Those cameras run $1200-$1300 which is a little steep for me. I don't need the 4k but it would be nice to have so I can sacrifice resolution when editing after. I would just have to be more careful with 1080p. Is there anything around half the price that can do 1080 @ 30fps with full manual control of settings for video recording?

Also, is a 1/1000 shutter common or hard to find in video mode?

Get a Panasonic FZ1000. I promise, you'll be happy with it and you can probably find one used under $500 (new it would probably be $600). Not having an interchangeable lens is actually a good thing sometimes, especially for live/run and gun type things.

Get a Panasonic FZ1000. I promise, you'll be happy with it and you can probably find one used under $500 (new it would probably be $600). Not having an interchangeable lens is actually a good thing sometimes, especially for live/run and gun type things.

Thanks. So back to the shutter question. Is it standard that the shutter rates for stills are the same as for video? When reading the specs the camera will state a shutter rate but they will also not say that video settings are locked hence there's a discrepancy. How do I really know what I am buying? Thanks again

Okay so I found some specs for the FZ1000 below. Under Motion picture what does it mean when it says 1/30, 1/25, 1/2 and then 1/16000 after?

Shutter Speed Still Image:
Approx. 60 - 1/4,000 sec (Mechanical Shutter)
Approx. 1 - 1/16,000 sec (Electronic Shutter)
Bulb (Approx. 120 sec)
Motion Picture:
Approx. 1/30 - 1/16,000 sec
Approx. 1/25 - 1/16,000 sec (AVCHD in FHD 24p)
Approx. 1/2 - 1/16,000 sec (Creative Video M Mode / MF Mode)

Chances are you're walking around with a great 1080p video camera in your pocket -- the iPhone produces excellent quality video, and you can easily transfer the footage to a computer to use with iMovie or Final Cut Pro. This is a great setup to get you started.

With a 1\1000 shutter speed he'll also need them good at low light too!!

None of this is going to be cheap at all in the slightest.

Back