• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice...first time as a DP

I'm taking DP role for a Video Short I'm doing in school. I've done my own projects and would like to try to go down the path of DP, but this will my first time using a script and having a full crew and lights. (I was always by myself or another person)

Besides storyboards. What else should I do in preparation? Any websites to go to? Good movies to watch? Movies with DP commentary to get tips and just to get in the state of mind for. Just wanna try to do a good job.

Confident, not cocky... delegate, that's what the crew is there for, and they'll feel useful at the end of the day.

Set your key, then worry about the fill, backlight and background lights. This will get you through 9/10ths of the shots you're doing.

Be concerned with where the power is coming from... normal household circuit 15amps... watts of a light / 100 = amps (with safety margin, technically it's 110)... no more than 3 500watt lights on an empty household circuit... know where the breakers are for when someone moves a light to the wrong circuit, or plugs in a coffee maker to a circuit without clearing it with you first (unless you have a Gaffer/ Chief Lighting Tech, then it's their job :)

Trust your eyes when looking at the screen.

Don't get too mad at the boom operator if he makes a shadow or dips his mic into frame. He just wants to get the best audio possible!

:)

I think Lord of the Rings should have a good DP commentary, also check Cast Away.

Back