• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adobe SpeedGrade, how to use??

I've tried in built Adobe color correction in both Premiere and AE, as well as an included plug-in, Colour Finesse. But with CS6 comes a stand alone grading program, SpeedGrade.

I currently have limited to experience grading, I just mess with some dials till I get what I like, but am willing (and I believe the patience) to learn more. Is SpeedGrade a program worth bothering to learn to use?

I've had an attempt at using it but it didn't seem to import Premiere projects (which TBH I was expecting it to do through the dynamic link) and it wouldn't give me a preview of a .mov I put in... :bang: :huh:

So I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone here have experience to give me some starting tips? And if there is a way to import Premiere (or AE) projects please tell me :)

There is a tutorial from Lynda.com that's an introduction to speed grade. There are others but this is one that I remembered off the top of my head. It's about 3 hours long.

From the Lynda.com site: With Adobe SpeedGrade, editors working with the Creative Suite now have a professional-level color correction and grading application in their hands for the first time. In this course, professional colorist Robbie Carman guides colorists and video editors through this new dedicated color correction application. The course walks through the interface, and then shows how to import footage and start making primary and secondary color corrections. Discover how to use masking and create and apply looks for maximum impact. The final chapters show how to make sure your corrections match shot to shot, and how to render your final output.

Topics include:

Viewing clips and navigating the timeline
Using automatic scene detection
Sending a project from Premiere Pro to SpeedGrade
Using SpeedGrade in a stereoscopic workflow
Making primary contrast and color corrections
Creating and applying looks
Making secondary corrections
Copying corrections from shot to shot
Importing rendered media back into Premiere Pro

http://www.lynda.com/SpeedGrade-tutorials/Up-Running-SpeedGrade/108129-2.html?srchtrk=index%3a0%0Alinktypeid%3a2%0Aq%3aintroduction+to+speedgrade%0Apage%3a1%0As%3arelevance%0Asa%3atrue%0Aproducttypeid%3a2

There are a lot of great video tuts around the place for a wide variety of subjects. If you have the budget (or even better a friend who has access) they're well worth while.

A lot of topics that I see people asking for information isn't simple enough that a forum post is able to capture everything needed to get started.

Good luck with it.

Back