• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adobe 6.5- Exporting crash

Hey guys,

Having a bit of trouble with my editing program here. Every time I try and export anything the program crashes. In the project overview settings window the export stuff is greyed out. I already did the adding a line in the .ini file.

I need help! If I can't export, then I'll have a wonderful 30min doc with nowhere to go. :no:

Any suggestions initially?

I managed to export as a M2V and WAV File. Any hints on how I can get them into a .mov format?
Free conversion programs?
Also, recommend any compressing programs that could get an almost 30min doc to a reasonable size for online?

Thanks!

Premiere 6.5, Shaw. I tried using After Effects and got lost really quick, so I'm putting off learning that until I can get Premiere 6.5 and Pro worked out.

And no, Kirill- you can wait until we all get to see it on the big screen.. since you're in it.

Hmm definitely a tricky issue!

I've only worked with Premiere 6.5 for a short time (before moving to Pro) so I'm not familiar with any issues it may have. Have you tried posting on the Adobe Premiere 6.5 forum? You can usually get tech questions solved there in a short time. Usually problems have popped up before and someone can direct you to the right post(s).

OK- I've got a realplayer version... but it's 100 MB. How can I get that down? Can I get a converter from real format to quicktime or windows media?

Will- I was trying to export a file to my hard drive in any format, but Adobe 6.5 would crash before the selection menu came up. I've reinstalled and tried the response from the Adobe forum. I'm trying to get the documentry done so I can delete the footage, back up my files and format the crap out of it. WAY too much junk. But seeing as I need to get this done ASAP, I'm resorting to desperate measures.

I'll be able to export to tape if you come over with your camera, Kirill. Give me a call sometime, ok sweety-bag?

I'm now trying to get a web version to get some much-needed feedback, but I've already got a cutting list started, so the final product will be further down the road. I'm thinking about taking some of the cut scenes and putting them online for people to download. Eventually, I'd like to put the whole thing up there, but it's pretty big!!

That's true.. at a half hour long much smaller than 100meg it's gonna look like crap.

Typical feature length movies with good compression are between 300 and 700meg (depending on compression) the 700MB ones are fairly close to dvd quality.. though there is some 'chunkiness' visible every once in a while.. whereas.. the smaller ones are a tiny image size and look like you're watching the picture made out of lego blocks, or like it's an old 8-bit nintendo game... ok, maybe not quite that bad, but bad anyway.

There may be converters available, but I don't know off hand.. check videohelp.com

Thanks Will! That website was exactly what I need. I'll have to peruse it after work today.
That's always how it goes though- drop a question on this board and someone always knows a website. I love it. Thanks a lot!

I have Premiere 6.5 and it crashes during export all the time.

After a bit of experimentation, I found the answer to MY problem [Your mileage may vary]:

If I have any one of the three file "My Computer", "My Documents" or "Windows Explorer" windows open during an export attempt, Premiere 6.5 crashes horribly -- to the point where I need to pull the plug on the PC. Now, I make sure I have *NONE* of these windows open during an export and I haven't had a crash yet.

I hope this helps...

Well, the problem, Mrde, is that I can't even get to the export stage via "export > movie". It crashes only on that selection, so I CAN export to tape and re-capture. That's good news.

Still can't figure it out though- I've tried everthing... just can't re-install AGAIN.

As it stands, I have a 800MB mpeg. I don't think it will be going online in that case, so I will be showing the doc to the captain, doing my own list of cuts, and then I'll send out some DVDs to some members here. More to come soon... er... next pay-day... :weird:

Zensteve said:
I can rip the DVD vob file and compress to wmv, if you like. :)

Edit: Since you have the basic mpg, just run it through the free Windows Media Encoder

THANK YOU! That's exactly what I needed. OK. I ran the mpeg through the converter, and I now have a 200,000MB .wmv
Now, obviously that's a LITTLE on the large side to put online. If you wanted to put this online, what would you do?
Cut it into three parts? Zip it? Import into another NLE and export again as a smaller size?

If anyone has MSN messenger and wants to receive a 200,000MB documentary abotu Wreck Beach, just contact me- my MSN email: god_of_wine007@hotmail.com
I want to cut it down to roughly 23 minutes after I figure out how to get rid of/get rights to some of the music- I'd love to hear some opinions of people who weren't at the beach!

You should be able to run it through the encoder with different settings and get a smaller output file size...

have it resize the image to like 320 x 240 or 160 x 120.. it will make a HUGE difference

Back