• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adaptation Ideas

Hi guys,
just finished the book A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I wanted to adapt this into a 'semi-feature' film. Not too long... and change all the characters into teens, instead of adults. However, I checked online and the author has already hired someone to write a screenplay for the book, officially.

I was wondering if anyone know of one... or some... good books that is worth adapting to. Probably one that doesn't require a huge budget to make, and one that would work with young actors.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Hi guys,
just finished the book A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I wanted to adapt this into a 'semi-feature' film. Not too long... and change all the characters into teens, instead of adults. However, I checked online and the author has already hired someone to write a screenplay for the book, officially.

I was wondering if anyone know of one... or some... good books that is worth adapting to. Probably one that doesn't require a huge budget to make, and one that would work with young actors.

Thanks!
Jeremy

If your looking for a good teen thriller, try one of Christopher Pike books.:)

You are looking to buy the rights to a novel in order to adapt it?

The novelist doesn't hire someone to adapt their book - the film rights are sold to a producer and the producer hires a screenwriter to adapt the book.

In this case, Graham King bought the rights to the novel, set it up at Warner Bros, and they hired D.V. DeVincentis, who adapted HIGH FIDELITY, to adapt the novel. DeVincentis has written several scripts for John Cusack in the past.

- Bill

Thanks, I will check out Christopher Pike's books :)
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean he hired someone. Just trying to get to my point quicker :P
I'm actually not going to buy the rights to adapt this book, I'm really looking for inspiration. But of course I will notify the author's agents...etc.

I always look to my own experiences for inspiration. I find some emotional issue from my past and come up with a story that forces a protagonist to deal with that issue. So if I am shy, what situation would force me to talk to strangers and become friends with strangers? Then I take that situation and that character (which is sort of me) and come up with ideas for scenes that focus on the character's problem and then form those scenes into a story. And I try to make it unique and interesting and imaginative.

So, my shy character (which is really me) has to approach strangers and become friends with them...
Because a plague has wiped out 90% of the population, and many of the survivors have formed gangs that steal food from everyone else. My shy character has been living alone, hiding... but when a gang finds him and steals all of his food, he has no choice but to find other people in hiding to find food... and form a "protective gang" to keep the other gangs away from their supplies. But the individuals in hiding are like him - they are shy and afraid to be with others. So he must convince them - he must talk them into doing what he is afraid to do. And once they have become a "protective gang" they must learn to work together and trust each other and become friends with each other... But, then a bad gang strikes. Even though they fight - well, some of them fight - the bad gang steals their food. Now what do they do?

Okay, just made that up off the top of my head.

Start with yourself - that way the story is personal. It could be about love or anger or any other problem that is close to *you*. Something that you understand and are passionate about. Then come up with the situation. Then find the most interesting way to tell the story.

- Bill

Wow, that was actually pretty good! Thanks, I'm going to try come if with problems I've faced and elevate it a little by adding more details to it. I thought of another idea, but have to think about it more in order for it to work... and besides adding stuff I've experienced to it, I think adding details from a true story might help make the story believable, yet dramatic and maybe even shocking.

Back