• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Actors lips are pink in my footage.

It's just the lips that look too colorfully pink, the rest of the skin is fine. I don't want to go through all that frame by frame stuff, as I am already doing most of the post work, and will never get projects done by any reasonable goal I have set for myself.

I could do the lipstick thing, but almost every actor will have to wear it. Almost all their lips are too pink, even if its the guys, and they are not wearing any lipstick.

Sometimes I white balance, sometimes I don't. It depends on the scene. At dawn and dusk scenes, I prefer to just leave them orange looking, like how dawn and dusk are for example. At night, I cannot white balance off of sodium lights, cause the image is too desaturated and pale if I do, so I have to leave that at higher color temperature so their is enough color in the image. So I white balance usually, but sometimes not, if I want a specific color for the light source.

So far the lips look normal in incandescent and sodium light, but fluorescent and sunlight causes pink lips

When was the last time you calibrated your monitor?

FYI: If you shoot a quick burst of a Macbeth Colorchecker with each setup, you'll be in a position to diagnose most of your color issues. I have a mini Macbeth velcro-ed to the front of my slate so I get reference with every take.

I'm still trying to figure out this monitor calibration, and get it right, But so far it's only my camera that is producing the pink lips. If I play any DVD movie, or a video on the net, it does not look pink, so it's my camera particularly.

And the lips are way too pink to the point where it looks artificial. A woman might be able to get away with it, lipstick wise, but not men on camera.

No, what I mean is, is that it looks bad in the monitors, compared to other movies. The camera is causing it too look bad in the monitor. It's the camera that makes it look bad in the monitor. The monitor is fine for playing movies shot with different cameras, but not mine.

You can't judge your monitor by looking at other people's videos - for the simple reason that you don't know how they're supposed to look. You might think they look fine, but they could be way off for all you know.

You obviously care about about color. But you're not going to be able to do anything about it - you'll never be able to control it properly - unless you have a calibrated monitor. Without that, everything is guesswork.

Okay thanks, but how do I do that? The instruction book does not say how to properly calibrate it for serious movie making, and when I google it, nothing solid seems to come up and everyone has a different opinion.

You can't judge your monitor by looking at other people's videos - for the simple reason that you don't know how they're supposed to look. You might think they look fine, but they could be way off for all you know.

You obviously care about about color. But you're not going to be able to do anything about it - you'll never be able to control it properly - unless you have a calibrated monitor. Without that, everything is guesswork.

+ 1

I would say your monitor needs to be fairly high-end too. A calibrated monitor is essential but if your monitor is not high-end ($800+) then the colors/contrast etc will not be 'perfect'.

If I had a low-end $250 or under monitor I would probably not spend $160+ on the excellent ColorMunki Display calibration tool. I'd simply calibrate the monitor the best I could manually - do a youtube search on how to calibrate a monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNDIS-ColorMunki-Display/dp/B0055MBQOM

What we all really need is very good high-end monitors which replicate colors and contrast etc exceptionally well. We then need to calibrate those monitors prior to use. But such hardware is expensive... That's the downside.

In the meantime, manually calibrate your monitor.

Okay thanks. I have been doing a lot of tests, and how do you manually calibrate your monitor so that it's correct? I don't know what the correct calibration is suppose to be.

Also I think I may have found out how to get rid of 'pink lips'. You shoot with a 'faithful' picture style, and then turn the hue up to a little bit of green. That reduces it. I don't know if this is the best way, but it's the only solution I have come up with so far.

I won't know for certain though till I can figure out what is proper in my monitor calibration.

Okay thanks. I have been doing a lot of tests, and how do you manually calibrate your monitor so that it's correct? I don't know what the correct calibration is suppose to be.

Also I think I may have found out how to get rid of 'pink lips'. You shoot with a 'faithful' picture style, and then turn the hue up to a little bit of green. That reduces it. I don't know if this is the best way, but it's the only solution I have come up with so far.

I won't know for certain though till I can figure out what is proper in my monitor calibration.
Come on H44! :bang: I even told you the answer in my post. Did you read it all?

Read my post just above your post again. Note the youtube search bit.

Back