• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Acting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7Ybq3ATmk

This mini series was created 100% by me.

The main character suffers from a split personality that always seems to hinder his every move. Much like many of us have fights within our mind in order to reach a decision, except this boy believes his other personalities are real.

(This 5 part series is an exercise in focusing on specific emotions, and creating my own characters.)

please let me know what you think :)
thank you.

The best from you so far. Flawed, but better.

I thought the writing could have been better. The dialogue (esp. in the beginning) felt a bit obvious... not like real conversation. As far as the acting, I thought it was pretty good. I think that a greater contrast between the two characters might have improved things though, entirely separate people. Perhaps a different voice, lower, more gravely, just something to make them seem like less similar people. Also, some words seemed oddly pronounced or said, such as 'conflict' and 'distracting'. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, I dunno.

Anyway, awesome job on getting better! I think you're incredibly strong with adding little subtleties, non-verbal communication, and displaying more complex and realistic emotion through very solemn or simple expressions. You have a damn good voice and you should keep on working at acting.

I actually enjoyed your acting. I found that the "evil" other half was more convincingly real to me. Looks good, just make sure you get consistent audio so there aren't any silent parts between cuts. A good way to do this is to just record a minute or two of ambient sound coming from the room and dub that beneath your other audio layers.

first off thank you so much ChimpPhobiaFilms and WhiteOpus, people like you always help me know if i'm on the right track. With work and school it isn't easy finding enough time to do any acting, but I guess the little time I do have is paying off so thank you again.

I have an idea for a couple black and white videos without audio or a script, just so i'm using my time to focus all the energy on acting. i'll let you guys know when those videos are up and viewable. \

thank you once more :)

What you did here was really great! I never thought this can be that good in my eyes. I know you can improve more. See more at Admission-service.com.

Last edited:
Nice work. All three of those were good. I can't really say anything negative.

Also, just out of curiosity, have you ever worked on any short films or theatre?

I thank you ChimpPhobiaFilms. getting to the point where nothing negative can be said is all i want.

to answer you question, yes. i did theatre while in hight school, first play i ever did i got the lead role. after that i was in a film that was in the theatres across canada and even won rewords at festivals. it this moment all i'm doing in youtube videos and working full time to go to Vancouver film school next september.

i wish there was more someone like myself could do to practise for acting though, it seems like the only thing to do is act.. but for some reason people don't think they can practise without being in a big film, so they just wait around.. i'm not like that though.

i wish there was more someone like myself could do to practise for acting though, it seems like the only thing to do is act.. but for some reason people don't think they can practise without being in a big film, so they just wait around.. i'm not like that though.

this is a great attitude. i wish you lived closer so we could work on something together!

You know.. your acting really is pretty decent, I've certainly worked with people who act much more poorly ;)

What would really improve the clip though would be tightening up the edit. Also, keeping an eye on screen direction and eye-lines. The two characters don't appear to be looking at each other.

As shot, it looks like this... Both characters look in the same direction,
and both occupy roughly the same side (right side) of the screen.
This makes it appear as though they're not looking at eachother:

attachment.php

By positioning one to the opposite side of the screen and having him look
in the opposite direction though, they then appear to be looking at each other while they're talking:

attachment.php

Overall framing could probably still be a little better, and even flipping the one shot doesn't quite correct the eyelines... But the screen direction error is the biggest issue and it's easy to resolve, even if you only get part of the way there with faking it by flipping a shot in post. :)

Attachments

• wrong-screen-direction.jpg
    wrong-screen-direction.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 140
  • corrected-screen-direction.jpg
    corrected-screen-direction.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I took a quick pass at tightening up the edit a bit, and flopping some of the shots to fix the screen direction issue. Shuffled a couple things a little bit too. Cut out the "we share part of the same mind" line as it felt a little too expositional to me, etc.

--SNIP--

Granted I trimmed the amount of black leader and tail pretty significantly, but from the original 1:27 clip length, this recut clocks in at :47.. About 10 seconds of that is trimmed out black lead/tail. That's still a reduction of 30 seconds of footage. That's pretty significant.

Last edited:
Yeah.. like I said, quick pass. Also my first go with Lightworks for mac. I'm sure there's a happy medium between the two pacing wise. My recut is pretty compressed, a bit more breathing room might make sense, though there was far too much in the original :)

What do you think about the Mac version of Lightworks? :)

Haven't really given it enough use to say conclusively.. It's certainly different than Premiere, but I can see it becoming second nature to work with fairly quickly with a little practice. It's still beta of course, but seems to be pretty stable for the most part. Nicely responsive, no sluggishness, on my macbook pro with SSD.... so, I guess I'm liking it. On the other hand, when I have time to play with things more I may find that the new features in the latest release of da vinci resolve are enough for me, they put a lot of work into the editing functionality in this latest release, so I may end up not having much use for lightworks.

Back