• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A table read. Finally.

After a few weeks of on-again, off-again scheduling snafus, tomorrow I finally get to connect with two (super talented) actors in L.A. for a table read. Just a short script (9 pages) but it will feel satisfying to watch static words on the page come to life via flesh, blood and bone performances. Ah, don't you love the smell of screenplays in the morning? ; )

I'll be taping it so I can review and think about what needs a fixing (no, it ain't perfect yet) but it's the simple thrill of doing it and I'm jazzed.

I don't know about you folks, but scheduling is my LEAST favorite aspect of the process. Ugh. And this is only a read-through. Not even going to think about the shoot.

Little by little... stay tuned...

In theory (only), when I find the right prop car and solidify the location. Two guys in a parked car. As an exercise in economy, I tried to keep the production logistics to a minimum, focusing on character and editing. We'll see... I'll keep you posted!

Perfect! Like good cop, bad cop. You beat them with the hose, breaking their spirits, then I'll lift them up and make them do what I want. Awesome.

What gauge hose do you typically use? I like the cheap kind that doesn't bend much :grrr:

I had my very first table read ever a few weeks ago with six great actors. Good food and a lot of laughing and discussion after the read. I even found my lead actress because of it.

It was a lot of good fun. I highly recommend every screenwriter schedule a table read before they consider their script complete.

Woo hoo!! Wow. We did it. The gods nearly conspired against us (of course) but after about thirty minutes of wandering, trying to find the place, the 2nd actor finally made it. Phew. I thought for certain it wasn't going to happen - but it did and it was a killer time. When/if I get a promo clip to share I'll be sure to post it. Now... if I can only find a way to do this all the time. Or, hell, just more often would do the trick. ; ) Stay tuned.

Back