• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A script to test that I can keep to the concept and characters...

Hey everyone!

I am in urgent need of some critique for a script I wrote to build my portfolio as a writer for animation. The backstory on this one is interesting so let me get this out of the way first.

I want to work in animation and I know that script writing for animation takes a few of its own directions when compared to live action. As such, I have made a few of my own over the years but then...a movie came in 2012.

Wreck-it-Ralph.

Darn it.

Over the years, I've been with a lot of people who have shared their likes over the film and so on and with announcements of Disney expanding a lot of their properties in the next coming years (Big Hero Six, Tangled, and Ducktales are ALL getting new series next year) and my love for animation I wanted to test to see if I could write something of a test episode for the WiR movie if such a series were to exist.

Long story short, I wanted to make a two-parter type story and take a turn from what was mostly expected from a lot of people at first. I've keep up with a lot of notes from the people who worked on the movie themselves as well as what they wanted to do with many of the other characters in the film and decided to see if I could make a script in such a way. In the main body of the story, I have made certain to keep to the central theme and heart of the world without putting TOO much emphasis in shoving as much game reference as possible just to sound cool. Yes, the movie was about gaming but any references that were done were done without means of beating the viewer over the head and I've HOPED I've done that. It does take ques from basic game story-beats, especially older ones, but like the original film I wanted to expand on the characters and humanize them, ESPECIALLY the other characters who live along side with Ralph, showing that like him they are much more than their code.

As for the synopsis (part 1);

Ralph and Gene are still bitter with each other which is in no part helped by many outsiders who are using the Mayor's past actions as means to push the Nicelanders (as well as other smaller NPCs) around. Just when the Mayor finds that there is no escape from the rebuttals, and that Mary will always suffer due to HIS actions, he finds himself 'energized' after an accidental run-in with power-ups but his new-found confidence soon leads him into trouble when he finds there is more to it than he first thought.

As stated, one of the big factors of this script was to see if I could possibly produce something that would work in animation without straying too far from established traits all the while giving some actual development to other characters. Would this work for something on TV and as a story-arch within a series itself?

I have links to scripts both here and here. The second part had to be reedited due to some run-in with Celtx and my computer but should be completed soon.

If you're having trouble with both links, please PM me and I will provide another readable link.

Thank you.

Back