A Good Finding

In an order that came in yesterday, I was expecting to receive a 256 Gig high speed mini SD Card for my tablet. Instead, I received a professional series 95 Megs/sec high speed full size SD Card. My 3 year old Canon 60D was supposed to use 32 Gig SD Cards as the max size. I figured I had nothing to lose trying the SD Card in the Canon 60D. The camera has never worked faster or been more responsive. I just took a few snap shots to test the read and write to the card. My USB 3 card reader on my desktop instantaneous copies the photos onto the computer's hard drive.

I will test it for video next. This one card has the memory capacity of eight 32 Gig cards.

Now, I have a new primary SD Card for shooting video and can most likely have all of the footage for a video production on just the one card.

That's a good finding.

Last edited:
Now, I have a new primary SD Card for shooting video and can most likely have all of the footage for a video production on just the one card.

That's a good finding.

Be extremely careful about putting all footage for a video production on just one card... I'd never recommend doing so. You lose that card or something happens where it becomes corrupt and you've now just lost all your footage. Shoot, dump, and duplicate or at least store it across multiple cards.

A good practice to get into is backup the production footage onto at least one external hard drive when the production is over for the day.

I lost a mini SD Card this year when it shot across a room from the spring loaded socket in my tablet. Everything that was on it, luckily, was backed up onto a folder on my desktop computer's secondary hard drive.

Good point, DeJager. Thank you for pointing that out.

A good practice to get into is backup the production footage onto at least one external hard drive when the production is over for the day.

Obeying the 3-2-1 rule of backups is a good practice to adopt. Anything less is relying upon dumb luck.

3 Copies of your Data, on
2 different types of media, with
1 copy kept off site.

With the size of media storage devices increasing, I suspect these requirements will go up over time as the chance of failure increases.

On topic, yes, the speed of the media you're using can often impact the responsiveness of devices.

Back