600$ for sony hhr-hc1?

HDR-hc1, doh.

I've been chalking up the cost of my "terror of the uncomfortable zombie vampires" film, and I've safely determined that I'd actually save money by buying a semi-pro mini-dv camcorder, as opposed to processing an hour+ of super 8.

I got someone on kijiji selling an hdr-hc1 for 600$. This will nigh-bankrupt me for the next 3 months as I live on a pittance, but for lack of any other purpose or drive in my life atm I think it's a good deal.

I'll have to put aside my victorian literature collecting hobby, but I should be able to just afford it.

600$ for the sony hdr-hc1, is that reasonable for a camera from 2005? How many more years do the batteries have?

Last edited:
The HDR-HC1 is in no way a pro or semi-pro camera, it's strictly a consumer device. The batteries likely won't hold much of a charge at this point, but you could replace them. Is the camera worth $600 at this point? It's tough to say. I will say there's no way I'd pay that much for a consumer HDV camera, new or used.

If I were in your position, I'd shoot on Super 8, or buy a DSLR. You can get the GH1 for pretty cheap these days. Adorama sells the camera for $400 without a lens. You can get a Canon FD Adapter for ~$30 and a used Canon FD lens for ~$30 as well. That will have you ready for shooting for under $500. Please note, however, that it's a manual lens and you'd have no ability for auto focus/iris. You'd also have to invest some money into sound, but that's the same with any camera.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back