5D or Panasonic

for video should i get a canon 5D or a Panasonic AG-HMC150 and why? and would i be able to connect a microphone into a canon 5d?

I learned SO much (as did my DP who has some but not a ton of DSLR experience) on the new film. Reading about limitation X is one thing, but then confronting it on set or in post is another. This film is going to look really good. The NEXT film, actually most likely a couple of paid music video gigs, are going to look incredible.

Go 5D/7D if you want to get hired for gigs as a shooter.*

Go GH2 if you want a DSLR form factor but need to roll the camera more than 12 minutes at a time.

Outside of that the pros/cons of each platform balance out and on either platform be prepared to shell out for aks to make things work better on set.

* - This might not be entirely true in all markets, but in NorCal productions are requesting those specifically. The GH2 might be on a come-up though, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Go 5D/7D if you want to get hired for gigs as a shooter.*

Go GH2 if you want a DSLR form factor but need to roll the camera more than 12 minutes at a time.

Outside of that the pros/cons of each platform balance out and on either platform be prepared to shell out for aks to make things work better on set.

* - This might not be entirely true in all markets, but in NorCal productions are requesting those specifically. The GH2 might be on a come-up though, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Same here, 5D especially carries "street cred". It's a camera the producer will recognize.

Reminder, the GH2 is in the process of Turbo Charging vis a vis Vitaliy K's scandalous hacking. HDMI recording is already in the books. Increased bit rates, it's a brave new world for the GH2. The scales may really get tipped soon, especially in that 422 color will likely be a reality for the GH2. 5d is a beautiful thing and a GH2 by comparison feels like a piece of junk. But the energy is all with the GH2 right now, and it's also about 1/3rd the price.

I admit, I have a Panny Kool Aid Bong, and have names for all three of my GH2's.

It certainly carries street cred, but in a few months when the 5D Mark III is released anyone with a Mark II is going to look outdated to clients. The 5D is an amazing camera, but it doesn't make sense to invest in one so late in its product cycle.

Except it's not going to be a few months, it's probably not going to be 2012, in fact it may not be 2013, it may not be ever. The events in japan, combined with the global economy and the fact the MK2 is still a highly sought after and very popular camera gives them little reason to try and replace it right now.

it's probably not going to be 2012, in fact it may not be 2013, it may not be ever.

Do you honestly think they'll just sit back and not update their product line? It might not be a few months, but there will at least be an announcement within the next 6 months, probably sooner. They need to keep up with their competitors; Nikon is expected to announce their new line of cameras next week.

It's been pushed back, then pushed back again, then pushed back again. There are a lot of rumors, but there is no camera. I'm guessing a year minimum. They'll update it eventually, but there is really nothing they could add beyond more processor power to allow a better compression scheme for the output and uncompressed video out to allow for external capture. As far as sensor and features it has everything you need. Nikon just came out with the D7000 late last year and the 5D was STILL a bettter camera for video.

I wonder how much Canon really cares about the video features of it's high end still cams. We obsess over the video features, but I bet we're a tiny fraction of their stills market. We kinda like mutants; perhaps they just throw us a bone once in while to grovel for -- Nikon for sure doesn't seem to care.

It certainly carries street cred, but in a few months when the 5D Mark III is released anyone with a Mark II is going to look outdated to clients. The 5D is an amazing camera, but it doesn't make sense to invest in one so late in its product cycle.

That sounds right. On the other hand, how much is the Mark III going to cost? It could be that its price in comparison will keep the Mark II attractive for money reasons. Pop in that Mosaic Engineering filter, if that filter is going to live up to its promise, that is, and voila...maybe a camera that's still highly desirable. You know, not saying it's the same thing...after all, the 5D doesn't even have video capability. But a used 5D is still a great camera for still photographers. Last I was watching, 5Ds in good condition were still going for around 1K on Ebay. And judging by photos I've seen on the net taken with the 5D, it can deliver images with stunning resolution, gorgeous color, and that are simply quite beautiful to look at...despite the Mark II being an improvement. Just suggesting that the Mark II is not likely to be forgotten so quickly, given its fine qualities.

Note: I noticed that the link on the thread Cracker started leading to Philip Bloom's article about the ME filter is broken. Guess it's been moved here for now:

http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/13/moire-2/

[EDIT] Or look at the T3i and the T2i. It seems that the T3i is really just an improved T2i. But Canon has yet to abandon the T2i. Given that Canon is still selling the T2i, I have to guess that the T2i still enjoys support also. Hopefully. So, I wonder if a good question is whether the Mark III will actually eclipse the Mark II, or will it just be an improved Mark II? If it's to be the latter, is it possible that the Mark II will remain on Canon's lineup, also enjoying continued support? Hopefully for Mark II owners and enthusiasts, that will be the case. I have to suspect there's a good chance that that will be the case. Like Gonzo more-or-less asked, how radically can they improve upon the Mark II? Then again, at the rate technology is advancing, you never know what they might be able to come up with. [/EDIT]

Last edited:
Ok I'll jump in. I recently sold my Nikon D90 to a still photographer and bought the D7000. I have a dozen Nikon primes just seemed the best way to go for me. I have mainly been shooting stills with it but the little bit of video that I've shot is very nice. The D7000 seems to have been over looked by filmmakers but it is being used by wedding shooters with very nice results.

The D7000 is an amazing still camera and most if not all the settings/looks/profiles are optimized for stills. So I've been playing around with different settings to get a better cine-look. Hope to shoot something soon with it.

Ok I'll jump in. I recently sold my Nikon D90 to a still photographer and bought the D7000. I have a dozen Nikon primes just seemed the best way to go for me. I have mainly been shooting stills with it but the little bit of video that I've shot is very nice. The D7000 seems to have been over looked by filmmakers but it is being used by wedding shooters with very nice results.

The D7000 is an amazing still camera and most if not all the settings/looks/profiles are optimized for stills. So I've been playing around with different settings to get a better cine-look. Hope to shoot something soon with it.

I looked hard at that camera. My girlfriend and producer is a Nikon person. Just really wanted FF.

Back