5D MkII 64Mbps achieved!

Using Magic Lantern AJ 5.9 and a SanDisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s, UDMA 6) CF card, I was able to continuously record CBR video at 200% bit rate with no stuttering or buffer overflows -- according to the Quicktime info, I'm right in the neighborhood of 64Mbps.

Any of you shooting on 5Ds that are having artifacting issues in post (color correction, greenscreening, etc...), this is the way to go.

Edit: I should probably point out that the card was formatted, as opposed to just deleting existing clips. I've hit stuttering and buffer issues on cards that weren't freshly-formatted before shooting.

I only shot some now-deleted boring seattle weather through my window, but after Thanksgiving weekend I'll do some proper tests with color correction and everything.

I can host files on my website since uploading to vimeo would completely defeat the purpose.

I've resisted Magic Lantern thus far. If it looked significantly better I'd give it a shot though.

If you're goal is outside of the Internet (Youtube, Vimde, etc.) then this bit rate change is VERY important. As originally stated, greenscreen and other types of rigorous post production processes are where the higher bit rate come in handy. It isn't in the raw footage itself, but rather how it maintains that quality over being manipulated that the 64mps makes an enormous difference.

Kudos on taking the plunge! We're waiting for our warranty to expire before upgrading.

A higher bitrate will definitely give better video quality. You won't really notice it if all you do is playback, but for editing and color correction it can make a big difference. I don't really use any of the other features except for crop marks and (sometimes) zebra stripes. Those features alone are enough to justify the pain of learning how to use it.

Edit: Sonnyboo beat me to it, and with a better vocabulary :)

i just hacked my gh2 to 32mbps. looks great, the noise on the higher iso groups are nice and more film-grainey, plus as escher mentioned it allows more option in colour correction. i could go higher but at this stage whats the point, the file sizes end up way too high for my low budget set-up :)

How low-budget? Hard drives are ridiculously cheap for the amount of storage you get. I purchased two 2TB drives for my feature. One for the project, and the second to act as a backup drive.

editing raw footage is going to need a major pc upgrade because right now my laptop lags with 24mbps raw even! then yes i'f need to get some storage space. and then i'd need extra sd cards that are at least 32gb @ 65mbs.

Last edited:
Not at the moment. I've hit a snag where the camera often silently fails back to 100% bitrate instead of 200% and I haven't tracked down the cause yet. I discovered this issue when I went to shoot at 200% for the final shots of my short film I'm doing as a technical shakedown before I tackle my feature.

My day job went crazy (been working late hours) because I'm going to be in Montana for a month so I won't really be able to hammer away at this until I get back.

No no, CBR all the way. :) I think it has something to do with how many visual widgets I'm having Magic Lantern display. During the successful test I had a lot of gizmos turned off. When it failed I was running the usual set of stuff.

Back