360 degree shutter angle - which camera?

Hello,

This is my first post and I hope I will find answer here :). I want to film LED poi performance (see link below):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGy0neDXxAE

I encounter strange problem, while trying it on my own:
When I film it with my Canon 700D and added some ghosting effect in post production, it turned out the there is missing part of LED pattern. I figured out the reason of that is that film is not captured "continuously". More professionally speaking, the setting I used firstly (shutter 1/50, 24fps) is just around 180 degree shutter angle. I read that for this kind of shoots need 360 degree shutter.
Unfortunately my Canon (with Magic Lantern) does not provide settings where shutter = 1/fps (maximum shutter is 1/33 , with 24fps).
However when I filmed it with a smartphone the LED pattern seem to transit "continously" between frames, which make me think that camera in the phone record with 360 degree. Why then my Canon can't?...

Could you tell me if there is any hidden option in Canon or Magic Lantern ("overide FPS" doeasn't work) to film with 360 degree shutter? Or maybe Nikon or other DLSR provide this option? Or some other camera?
I need desant control over my shoot (white balanse and iso control, since it's filming a flashing object) and also wide angle would be good. Maybe GoPro?

There is really few information on the Net about this topic. I hope you can help me.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as film or video that is captured "continuously". Shutter speed does not change the fact that you are only recording 24 or 30 STILL frames per second.

I'm not 100% sure what you're going for, cuz we don't speak the same native language, but I think what you're asking about might be motion-blur? The slower the shutter-speed, the more motion-blur. I think you need to ignore the 180-degree rule and significanly up that shutter-speed. And also maybe the frame-rate.

Do the LEDs flicker?

There are a few parameters in this problem:
- LED flicker frequency
- shutter speed
- frame rate
- rolling shutter

a 360° shutter should indeed fix the flicker, but it can make the whole video blurry.

There's no such thing as film or video that is captured "continuously". Shutter speed does not change the fact that you are only recording 24 or 30 STILL frames per second.

Yep, but cameras like C100 or many pro Sony camcorder can shoot 360° or 'clear scan'.

Sorry, I didn't know my native language spoiled the concept of the post. Thus, I'll try to illustrate it:

This is what I get when I compare two following frames from Canon footage (setting are 10 fps, around 1/12 shutter speed - using Magic Lantern - which gives 300 degree)

8323fbdb2819.jpg

When viewing the clip it seems like there is constantly missing some part of image produce by the LED poi (which is not true - the image is there, but it is not capture by the camera).

And here is the same comparison of two frames, but captured with the smartphone:

687bd69724f5.jpg

The image produce by LED poi is "coherent", in that sense that there is no missing part and viewing this video is fine (just like youtube link I posted earlier)

However, I discovered something interesting in this clip. Each fifth frame is missing:

28169428fbc60.jpg

which seems to me, that in this time the camera is saving previous four frames. Well, I'm not sure.

WalterB, the video may be blurry, more important is the image produced by poi's. And thanks for the names of cameras I should try - I hope I will find them for rent somewhere. I am still bit surprised that DSLR doesn't offer such video settings.

Back