$250 million for the rights to LOTR

sfoster

Staff Member
Amazon is launching a LOTR series for five seasons.
Sweet, I love the lord of the rings universe.

Orcs, Elves and Wizards

Sure is a lot of money when they aren't using the story from the books though.
You could create a new universe and spend $200,000,000 on advertising instead

EDIT- 2022 UPDATE --

Do you guys think this will succeed or fail?
The big question is... will it get renewed for a 2nd season

Last edited:

Orcs, Elves and Wizards

I met this news with scepticism. Knowing me, I'll watch it though. Maybe enough time has passed between the films and this. I don't know.

Orcs, Elves and Wizards

Disney tried and failed with what was the title of that man on Mars sci-fi-fantasy movie?

I think Amazon thinks $250M is a bargain for a brand that has already been marketed for more than $250M over the years. Just the fact they bought those rights already has given them free publicity now :P

Maybe they'll explore the Silmarillion?

Disney tried and failed with what was the title of that man on Mars sci-fi-fantasy movie?

I think Amazon thinks $250M is a bargain for a brand that has already been marketed for more than $250M over the years. Just the fact they bought those rights already has given them free publicity now :P

Maybe they'll explore the Silmarillion?

I'm sure they've thought a lot about it and believe the name recognition is worth the money but like paul said, people meet this with skepticism. I will definitely check it out but i'm an easy demographic I watched MTVs shannara series too :lol:

BTW the mars movie is John Carter.
And personally I thought it sounded way too close to John Connor and the title left me disappointed it wasn't a terminator movie. The title alone made me not see it in theatres but I thought it was a decent flick at home

Now that they've released some screen grabs and footage I must say.. nothing about this project excites me.
It would be such an epic failure if they spent 250 million for the rights and then stopped after one season.

The trailer looks bad. you can tell from the generic voice over and music that this ain't gonna be good. Pretty sure it's gonna disappoint die hard fans like me. The only thing that could be good about it is the cgi and action scenes. In terms of the LOTR ambiance, music, characterization, and directing actors I don't think anybody can top Peter Jackson. Still shocked about the fact that Tolkien state didn't like Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy. I've read the books several times. Don't think anybody can capture the soul of LOTR universe as well as Peter Jackson. I really hope to be wrong about this.

Last edited:
Back