2007 Oscar Winner For Animation: Peter & The Wolf

I am usually quicker than this! If you are into animation, you should be watching PBS right now!

Academy Award winning Animation Short "Peter And The Wolf is on TONIGHT. Not only do you see the film but the making of the film. It is almost over on one of the PBS channels where I am, but will be coming on at 9:00 which is only a few minutes from now.

I am not an animator, but I think that animated films are the coolest and I just admire the kind of work that goes into making one. Go Watch PBS! Hurry up! :D

-- spinner :cool:

I loved the incredible detail of animation. I was saying to a friend of mine that I ought to be a gamer because of all the detail in video games. I think I would just like to see a demo for the game "Condemnation 2: Bloodshot. When I first saw that, I was hoping it was a movie. Oh, well....

Anyway, about the detail in Peter And The Wolf: I loved it. For example, the gap in Peter's teeth when he smiled, the fur of the cat coming out of the water, the forest, the wolf, just beautiful! And I am glad that there is a place for stop-action animation in this age of CGI.

I was so glad to see that the characters, like the duck and the wolf, didn't stand up and talk. Nothing wrong with that, but it was refreshing to see the animals act like animals. I thought that this was a great example of "showing the story". I really like it when a filmmaker shows me something different.

The website is still there: http://www.breakthrufilms.co.uk/peterandthewolffilm/about_us.html

How cool was that!

-- spinner :cool:

Wow. That was a lot of work. The sets were amazing.

I hope you got to watch it in high definition. The attention to detail in everything was exceptional. Moisture in the eyes, veins in the hands, paint and texture of the props, clothing, buildings... Just wow.

And not a line of dialogue. Great example of visual storytelling.

But 5 years? This is why CGI is taking hold. All of that could've been accomplished in a year or less with CGI. Granted, it would not have been near as much of an artistic accomplishment.

No, stop motion and claymation isn't dead. Wallace & Gromit are alive and well. And who can forget Chicken Run? But now they're taking CGI and making it look like stop motion or claymation to save time, and the CGI is getting so darn good these days that you'd be hard pressed to spot the differences. They could even take it so far as to simulate fingerprints in clay if they wanted.

Remember "go motion"? ILM used this for the dragon in Dragonslayer.

Yes, I am an animation fan, too. Used to create flip book animations in my text books to avoid math class. :lol:

Back